Animation Output

Started by HarryH, December 09, 2019, 06:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryH

We have recently got new iMacs and re-installed Keyshot 8.
I used to be able to export an animation in various formats and it would play in Quicktime, but now none of the formats are able to open (screenshots attached).
Is this an issue that can be resolved by changing any settings? As I said, all formats worked fine before but now none do, making the animation software unusable to us!

Keyshot support replied to me with the following:

It looks like Quick time is no longer supported by apple, this means it can be used but there is no support for issue with the player.
A work around for this would be to Download VLC player to your computer as it is compatible with any video format.

Quicktime came with the new iMac, so I don't think it is no longer supported. VLC can play some of the files but not properly, and I need them to work in Quicktime ideally as I can then convert for iPhone and iPad easily.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Will Gibbons

This comes down to the codec. MP4 is just a container. Containers can contain video that's been encoded by any number of codecs. I'd recommend downloading Handbrake (free) and encoding it using that program, which may give you some control. Otherwise, Adobe Media Encoder/premiere pro will give you a bunch of codecs supported by Quicktime I think. Try H.264 and see if that works.

Sune

Sorry for the confusion, It's QuickTime 7 that is no longer supported in MacOS Catalina.

Before KeyShot 9 we used a MPEG-4 encoding designed for QuickTime 7 for the .mov format, meaning that QuickTime X, which is included in Catalina, can not play those .mov files.

For KeyShot 9 we changed the encoding to be H.264, so as Will said you can try using that format in KeyShot 8 instead.

kamila25

hello
explain more clearly....

mikalind

Hi, I use a iMac 2019, Keyshot 8.2. All of a sudden no .mp4 (H264) or .mov can be played in macOS Catalina, or converted in conversion apps. What does Keyshot do with the videos to make them un usable in video converter software? Could you help me understand what has changed and present a workaround other than an upgrade to keyshot 9 for $795 to be able to use results from the drop down menu in animation settings. You can't open or convert .mp4(h264) or .mov files that is made in Keyshot. I think this should be adressed with an upgrade within Keyshot 8. I have tried to convert in iVI and Videoconverter Pro, both fails to convert the files. How do I get a workflow for just making .mp4 or .mov from Keyshot to play in a Mac? The Animation preview also makes a .mov and that works just fine to play and convert in conversion software in the same Mac. So what differs the usable .mov from animation preview from a rendered .mov that can't be used?

Sune

Hi mikalind,

Are you able to play any of the animations in VLC Media Player?