ray mask camera visibility

Started by andy.engelkemier, April 14, 2020, 05:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

Yeah, I know it's an experimental feature. But the only way to turn off camera visibility is emissive. I'm not sure if you're aware, but emissive materials don't get shadows cast on them.

Just curious why when I turn off camera visibility, my object simply turns black.
I still can't figure out exactly what front face back face visibility does. It seems they are only useful for completely non-overlapping objects? Hard to say.

I use it on my glass objects that are fairly thin and quite clear to eliminate the obscene amount of shadow that the glass casts. It's not that it's Wrong. It's just that it's wrong if a crazy amount of caustics aren't also calculated, and aint nobody got time for that. For most single product renders I don't even turn on GI. My latest toaster renders are Somehow rendering 7K in under 10 minutes on less than 64 cores. Can't tell if I'm just getting a lot better at optimizing, or if keyshot is getting a lot faster. Too bad I can't use GPU at that size! That would be insanely fast.