3d Studio Max

Started by Furniture_Guy, February 27, 2020, 10:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furniture_Guy

Hello All,

My boss (our art director) wants to create a small library of room accessories in .bip format to have on hand to quickly import into our KeyShot room scenes and so he has purchased some Turbosquid models to do this. I open them up in 3d Studio and place all the maps in the sceneassets\images folder in the project folder and all is found. However, when I render using the KeyShot plugin certain materials do not come across. I realize that 3d Studio and KeyShot materials are not compatible however, when I go to the KeyShot file and select a part that has a missing material, it says that it's missing a certain .png file for the texture. I'll go back into 3d Studio and search in the Slate Material Editor and no such .png file exists. I am NOT an experienced 3d Studio user. Does anyone have any insights?

Many thanks!

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

Sean

As you say, we should be fetching the textures. Is it outputting a full path for the missing textures? If you mouse over the file name in material properties, what path is it showing?

Can you perhaps point us to some of the models that have this problem on TurboSquid? Feel free to send that to support@luxion.com if the details are confidential.

andy.engelkemier

you can check all your paths in 3dsMax in the asset manager, in one place. This might give you a clue on why certain ones are failing and track down the issue inside of 3dsMax.
You should count on spending a few hours cleaning up every purchased model. They are rarely perfect everywhere. The modeling is perfect, the textures are not. The materials are amazing, the model is a mess. Something always seems to be covering up some lacking experience elsewhere. Even the ones I've used that seem really good, I'll find issues down the line. Like, Oh....the whole thing looked great, but an entire line of normals are flipped at the seem. How the heck did That happen!?

In the Asset manager you can also change the paths without having to find where they are attached. So maybe it's buried in a sub object material. The asset manager will just show you the path of the image. You can then change it to a new path.

I'd bet it's a relative path issue. Max allows relative paths. I don't believe Keyshot does.

Furniture_Guy

Quote from: andy.engelkemier on April 14, 2020, 05:50:48 AM
you can check all your paths in 3dsMax in the asset manager, in one place. This might give you a clue on why certain ones are failing and track down the issue inside of 3dsMax.
You should count on spending a few hours cleaning up every purchased model. They are rarely perfect everywhere. The modeling is perfect, the textures are not. The materials are amazing, the model is a mess. Something always seems to be covering up some lacking experience elsewhere. Even the ones I've used that seem really good, I'll find issues down the line. Like, Oh....the whole thing looked great, but an entire line of normals are flipped at the seem. How the heck did That happen!?

In the Asset manager you can also change the paths without having to find where they are attached. So maybe it's buried in a sub object material. The asset manager will just show you the path of the image. You can then change it to a new path.

I'd bet it's a relative path issue. Max allows relative paths. I don't believe Keyshot does.

Very good info... Thank you very much!

Perry (Furniture_Guy)