Does 3DConnexion SpaceMouse work in Keyshot 9 Pro on Mac Catalina?

Started by Aeonjoey, May 07, 2020, 04:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeonjoey

Hi! I had reached out to Luxion to inquire if the 3DConnexion spacemouse works with Keyshot and was told it does indeed - and found the section of prefs where you can set it's settings. I received it today, installed the drivers, plugins, rebooted multiple times and it's working in every other app (Rhino, Sketchup, Fusion360) but not in Keyshot.
The 3DConnexion section of the preferences is now active so Keyshot appears to recognize that it's installed, but no camera movement happens. I've of course created a new scene and added primitive geometry and tried demo scenes to see if it was my file. Is there anything I need to do to get it to work?
I've also tried geometry view, and make sure system focus was on the modeling area.
Anyone get it to work?

DerekCicero

Aeonjoey

It is the Spacemouse Wireless; a coworker has an older one that also doesn't work in 9.
I've tested in KS 7, 8, and 9, on MacOS High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina. On all OS's it works in 7 & 8, but not 9. coworkers confirmed with trial versions of versions they didn't have to check for me, and I've reached out to both 3DConnexion and Luxion's support. 3DConnexion also confirmed that 9 doesn't work in a trial version they downloaded (and that it does work in older verisons) and they don't know why, they are reaching out to Luxion themselves, and Luxion devs are looking at the issue.

So this is a legitimate problem that only KS9 has at the moment, fingers crossed they get it fixed.

Since it works in KS 8 I've been practicing with it, and holly cow, this thing is a game changer! so smooth, so fast.

DerekCicero

Aeonjoey

Hey there, just following up - i haven't heard anything in a few weeks.

DerekCicero

We can reproduce the bug internally and have verified the issue with 3DConnexion. It works in KeyShot 8. No ETA on a fix.

juancalcala

I emailed 3DConnexion about the issue and they replied that Keyshot had dropped support for their devices beginning with KeyShot 9. Below is 3DConnexion's response for your reference.  KeyShot please fix this or tell us if it's true that you will no longer support 3DConnexion devices so we can explore alternatives. Thank you.

Hi Juan,
Thanks for the updates. Keyshot is the one of implemented support for our devices and make the devices function within the application. I've heard from one of the customer that Keyshot dropped the support for our devices starting from keyshot 9 which is why its not working on your end. Our team got notified and they're trying to communicate with them to find a solution. It would be great if you could contact keyshot asking for further assistance, they might be able to provide a useful workaround that might let the device function on your machine.
Regards,

Abdul. A

Aeonjoey

I'm that customer he mentioned, I've been communicating between 3DConnexion and Luxion for months (their tickets auto-close after 120 hours so you have to keep replying and asking for status), and have given names and emails both ways. Luxion has deliberately *decided* to remove support, and have no plans on re-implementing it ever in the future.

Quote from Luxion:

Quote"Unfortunately I finally heard back today about the Spacemouse and we're not getting positive feedback - it doesn't sound like they're planning on fixing this for KeyShot 10. I wish I had better news on this and apologize it's taken so long to get an answer.

We do provide Development with wish-list items for the next release - so I'll keep pushing the Mac/Spacemouse integration and maybe we'll get some traction - I'll keep you updated if I get any good news back."
I asked our sales rep and support if they could remove the control panel section at least because it's really confusing. 3DConnexion has no say in the matter other than asking if they could please re-implement it.

There are no alternatives that I've found, if you find one, please let everyone know.

It's extremely disheartening, I use my SpaceMouse a lot.

DerekCicero

Apologies for the delay in responding to this thread.

We have not dropped support for SpaceMouse.

We have a fix for this issue in KeyShot 10, but we were not able to get a fix in for 9.2. I will work with you directly to get a pre-release beta in a few weeks so you can check that it is working. I realize it's very frustrating to lose support for a hardware peripheral for an entire version when it was working in prior versions, it just got missed.

Aeonjoey

Aeonjoey

Hello, I'm extremely happy to discover that with Keyshot 10, 3DConnexion SpaceMouse functionality is restored, and all settings for it work within the app in both standard and geometry views.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Artbot

Info need. (Jan 27, 20210 I need help. Keyshot 10 and 3dConexxion Spacemouse on Mac Catalina 10.15.7
I find that this Axes are reversed in Keyshot. I tried to change it using the 3DConnexion software changing Right to Left, etc. but nothing changed and I don't see a "save" button. I don't think there is a way to change it in Keyshot itself?

Aeonjoey

I'm on a Mac and I was able to reverse them, the process should be the same for both, you have to manually add Keyshot10 (app or .exe) from it's original location to the 3Dconnexion Properties control panel, once in there swapping '3D Mouse Left' and right should be all you need to do, there's no save button, but you can select another app/tab and go back in to verify it 'saved'. Relaunch KS and it should work. I did have to leave the "3dconnexion home" app running constantly in the background however for it to continue working, if I closed it it stopped.

Additionally there's an option built into Keyshot but I preferred using the native control panel:

Artbot

Thank you Aeonjoy for covering all the details and also solving my issue. It is odd that the preferences dialog box in Keyshot isn't obvious in showing or indicating  that I needed to scroll down to see the 3D Connexxion controls. I ended up using your suggestion though on using the 3D Connexxion setup to change the two settings. I am keeping the Spacemouse settings open. I restarted Keyshot and all is right now with my "3D' world!