Plane clipping camera for space rendering

Started by Higuchi, July 03, 2020, 03:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Higuchi

Hi guys, I'd like to know how you set cameras in completely closed interior space. As far as I know, Keyshot doesn't have clipping camera function which 3DS-max has. I always remove unnesesary model by cutaway material. However, I cannot get a proper rendering result since environmet light comes into inside through removed model. I miss clipping function in Keyshot... Could you share how do you resolve this problem?

The attached image is just a refference as a clipping function. As you can see, the environment light come into inside only through window not clipped ceiling.

Eugen Fetsch

Unfortunatelly "cutaway" is a feature with limited functions. Only Luxion knows if they are working to improve it.
Anyway, KS has clipping, but it's hidden in the UI - you can't use it directly.
You can import the camera from 3DSM or Blender with the propper clipping set to the camera. I don't know how it works for your model, but would appreciate if you post or comment the result here.

Higuchi

Thank you for letting me know! I didn't know that Keyshot originally has clipping controller but it is hidden for us. I hope it will be improved in a few updates.

Eugen Fetsch

It's not really "hidden" for us, it's just unexposed in the UI. Rendering needs clipping to perform and KS has an automated clipping system, depending on the scene size.

DriesV

I just want to add that clipping is not required for ray tracing. It is possible, but not necessary. It is only required for rasterized rendering (like the OpenGL overlays in the Real-time View or the Geometry View).

Dries

Higuchi

Thank you for the reply, Eugen and DriesV

I'm sorry, I can't understand a little bit yet. Let me explain what I want to do again.

Below is the useful for me to explain it. When I make space rendering, I always build completely closed space to control light settings. However, when I need to set a camera outside, it is impossible to render inside scene without "clipping function" as it works well in 3DS-max. If I managed to take a inside cut from the same position, I'll end up use "cutaway material" for its wall. But, I can't get a proper result because light come into inside through cut model.

https://corona-renderer.com/forum/index.php?topic=20876.0

Eugen Fetsch

@Dries
Thank you, didn't know that fact. But wouldn't it be obvious to still use it for better calculation performance and memory saving? Like to clip the Z-depth numbers?

@Ryosuke
Now I see.
Try to use a plane as roof (exyclude it from the cutaway), assign grey or black emission material to it, uncheck "visible to camera" and check "visible in shadows" in the material properties. That could help to install an invisible roof that casts shadows. Will it help?

Higuchi

@Eugen
I got it. You mean below, don't you?

1. I make another space models working as floor, walls and ceiling in advance.
2. Apply Emissive for them, uncheck "visible to camera" and check "visible in shadows" in the material properties.
3. Apply Cutaway for existed model to take a photo from outside, but exclusive for above models to block environment light to inside.

I can understand it and confirm it works well. However, it takes a lot of time to prepare, actually... I hope Keyshot will have "Clipping function" controlled in the camera setting tab as well as 3DS-MAX. Don't you think so?
Anyway, thanks to your tips, I manage to take a photo from outside space to inside space with proper lighting!

Eugen Fetsch

Glad it was helpful.

It would be great to have all the handy parameters available in the UI, but then KS can start to be confusing for many users who appreciate its simplicity. Simplicity of use and a steep learning curve are THE KeyShot fundamentals.
That's why I believe that a real "PRO" version of KeyShot would be great, where functions all usefull parameters are available and are not limited by the simplicity that KS is always chasing to.