Help with choosing a machine for Jewelry 10-15 seconds animation

Started by lsdmthc, July 16, 2020, 01:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lsdmthc

Hi Guys,
I'm a jewelry designer and I need your help,
I'm interesting in buying a machine that can build a video of 10-15 second in 10-15 minutes - A video of high quality 2000x1600 pixle at least, with high reflection and reflective light for shiny metals&diamonds.
Is this possible?
If yes what hardware do I need?
Is the hardware below will meet my needs?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tvymp8

If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear about it.

If I will buy a machine with two computer Processor, will keyshot know how to take advantage of both?

My main target is to build as many 10-15 seconds video for 1 day everyday.

Thank you very much for helping.
Roi

Trixtr

You can have a look at the Benchmarking section of this forum to give you some idea of processing speeds and then estimate what you get.
Simple calc says 10 sec video in 15 minutes means 1.5 minutes for 1 second of video. With a video of 30fps, you're left with 3s render time for each frame. The benchmark camera with such a cpu seems to result in approx 60 samples per second at a quite low resolution (search for "3990x Benchmark - 982fps" in the forum).
So to conclude, it depends on your render settings and choice of materials. This will determine if you have use the GPU or not in the render phase.

andy.engelkemier

The simple answer is no.
30fps for 15 seconds is 450 frames. 15 minutes is 900 seconds. 900/450 = 2 seconds. Rendering with real-time render engines, you're still looking at a few seconds per frame.

Now, even if you get a killer machine that can render that fast, it'll take time to save, usually a couple seconds. I would Probably recommend putting your money in GPU rather than CPU there. Skip the 64core and go with something in the 10-16 range. That'll buy you what, 2 more graphics cards and a larger PSU to run it?

Now, I say that, but with GPU you Do lose a couple things. One feature for me is the RayMask node. I rely on that Heavily to avoid glass from casting shadows. No one wants to calculate caustics for a thin clear object on top of another. And that brings me to the next question. Being jewerly, do you need caustics?

Now, if the answer to the caustics question is no, I'd wonder if you need to actually render in keyshot? If you're really after speed, could you use Blender with Eevee or Unreal Engine? Blender is obviously easier, but Unreal will give you Actually realtime results, which means you wouldn't have to worry about your render time. And if you need a video to give to a client or something, then you could screen record. Hey, it's not the best quality solution, but if you really need an insanely fast render then there are ways.
Now, you can get good looking raytraced results there, but they will Not be accurate. But many clients likely want to see bloom effects and unnatural amounts of depth of field on their jewelry anyway, so you can throw realism out the window anyway.

Anyway, if you are stuck using CPU almost exclusively, then you've chosen a great CPU. Otherwise, GPU is a ton faster in most cases.

Fouad bendaya

like said above i think you better off with a dual 2080 ti
but gpu rendering is not perfect and need some tweaking or let's just say it's different then cpu rendering

andy.engelkemier

It'll get there though. Keyshot is just a little bit behind in that. They'll catch up soon I'm sure. The only dealbreaker for me at the moment is allowing for the raymask node. It's also Very annoying that clown mask doesn't work. That's just a programming error though, because you can fix it manually by just adding a diffuse material as a label and adding black to it's opacity. Render clown with labels, and then it works. But you have to do that for ALL your materials. Otherwise they render as red. Every object showing red in the clown mask is pretty pointless.
But like I said, they'll catch up to things like cycles, vray, maxwell, arnold, etc. that have it pretty nailed down. Ok, they probably won't catch up to vray, who can distribute single renders to multiple machines at once for real-time view using GPU and CPU simultaneously....but as far as stability I'm sure GPU will catch up.