Scale label textures simultaneously when scaling object

Started by Bondra, September 24, 2020, 03:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bondra

So I'm trying to import a model into another scence where scaling of the imported object needs to be scaled up. Problem is however that label textures won't scale accordingly ? Am I missing something?

mattjgerard

Only way this will work is if the labels are mapped with UV mapping. That way they are stuck to the geometry. Any other mapping isn't connected to the geometry itself, just projected onto the geometry.

stevep67

I second this 'request' - it's inconceivable that scaling an object or part doesn't include the texture or label (like in Cinema4D). How is this not baked in by default? Please, Luxion, add this feature.

mattjgerard

By definition, the non UV mapping tools arent' supposed to scale the labels or textures (this whole concept holds true with raster textures as well) with th eobject. in order to make that happen, there would have to be some sort of "bake texture" or "bake label" feature that would create a UV map and apply it in the background. Other render and modeling apps, this is a discreet step that you have to take to make the texture/label "Stick".

Since intriducing the UV Unwrapping tool, I have not had much chance to play with it, but i think that's the idea for it, unwrap the objet in KS, apply your tectures/lables and be good to go.

I know in Cinema, I have to apply a texture/label, and explicitly apply the BAKE TEXTURE tag and bake the texture/label. It then converts it to a UVW mapped texture.

stevep67

Quote from: mattjgerard on September 28, 2020, 06:56:48 AM
I know in Cinema, I have to apply a texture/label, and explicitly apply the BAKE TEXTURE tag and bake the texture/label. It then converts it to a UVW mapped texture.

Matt, this is simply not true. In 20 years of using Cinema I've never baked a texture onto an object (unless it's for deformation). Flat, cylindrical, whatever the mapping type, the texture scales and moves with the object as you would expect. I can't think of a situation where I'd want to scale my object but leave the label static. I think Luxion should at least add a check box for this.

mattjgerard

Matt, this is simply not true. In 20 years of using Cinema I've never baked a texture onto an object (unless it's for deformation). Flat, cylindrical, whatever the mapping type, the texture scales and moves with the object as you would expect. I can't think of a situation where I'd want to scale my object but leave the label static. I think Luxion should at least add a check box for this.

Cinema does its own internal psuedo UV mapping with its texture tag. The projection matrix is directly connected to the object matrix, by scaling the object matrix you're also scaling the texture. Its just internally built this way. They did it the smart way. I think keyshot should as well, exactly for the reasons you stated. Not all my models (in fact very few) come in with neat UV's that work, so adding labels has never been an exact thing if I had to scale my products. Don't get me wrong, i totally agree with you. But when I used to use cinema and octane, I was foever baking texutres to stick labels and textures that would carry over. One of the many reasons I love keyshot.