Help Needed With Wavy Texture Clear Glass

Started by Lan, October 07, 2020, 09:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lan

Hello keyshot community, I'm working on a rendering of a lighting fixture and I can't seem to figure out how to create this vertical wavy glass texture material. So far I've tried using noise texture along with a wood texture but the wave isn't going vertically. I've also tried applying water wave textures I've found online and there are noises that caused it to look translucent. How would I create a texture like this? Thanks

designgestalt

hello Hlan,
Sorry I did not have much time, but I took a very quick look into this!
Please take a look at the attached pictures, I hope that will at least lead you to a way for a procedural material...
for sure needs some tweaking, but I guess the approach should work ...

sorry, canĀ“t share the ksp file, as the machine I currently work on only has KS10 installed and it is not backwards compatible...

cheers
designgestalt

Lan

Thank you @designgestalt, your demonstration has helped and pointed me in the right direction to create this material. Appreciated your time and effort

INNEO_MWo

Do you used the spots texture?
I would try to play with the marble texture that creates straight that enables a scattering along the lines.

Haven't access to a system now. So I've wrote my thoughts via cell phone.

Good luck!

Cheers
Marco

Lan

Hey @Marco, Marble texture is a pretty cool idea. The result looks similar to my reference image but with less consistency in terms of the repeating shape. Thanks for sharing the idea.

INNEO_MWo

I guess that a displacement on the outside surf would work best to get different thickness as on the physical object.
Here's a quick draft of a mesh and a marble texture driving the bump that's masked by a fade.

(edit) my material has a small mistake - the depth value has to be negative!

All done in KeyShot 9.3

And yeah I know it is not an ideal model.

Cheers
Marco