Translucent Medium

Started by Matt Wilson, October 07, 2020, 11:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Wilson

I am looking for some help with translucent medium material please.

I have been trying to render a zbrush-sculpted head in keyshot using the translucent medium material for the skin. I was hoping that it would give me a finer degree of control than the translucent material I have been using. The issue is that the new material seems to be picking up the colour of the surrounding environment rather than using the diffuse texture map I have provided. I notice with translucent the texture map node goes into 'texture' whereas with translucent medium it goes into 'surface' in the material graph, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

You can see in the attached image (please ignore sculpt, camera, lighting etc) it is picking up the blue sky from the environment and doesn't appear skin coloured at all. Plus it's got a sort of sparkly effect. I have been through all the settings but I can't help but feel I might have missed something obvious to ensure the skin colour renders as intended. Am I missing the point of translucent medium, or is it a setting somewhere?

KeyShot

I would recommend reducing the surface roughness to a more reasonable 0.1. You may also need to increase the number of ray bounces to get a better color match from the light scattering inside the medium.