Main Menu

Label Help!

Started by Rival70, November 08, 2020, 07:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rival70

Hello,

I'm currently doing trying to do liveries onto models however I keep hitting a few obstacles. I have a few questions in regards to how labels are applied and how to transform them.

I will be using the default Porsche as an example but with a few things hidden.

1. In the image below, the car's door and main body are split by default with the white stripe going through. Do you have to link these two materials before putting a label across? How does that work? Can you have two separate parts linked but share the same label like what I'm trying to achieve in this image without losing the labels? How?

2. How do I mirror a label like this on the other side? Without using two sided? Or do you have to use two sided whilst adjusting the depth? As when I've tried to mirror labels before, they're out of shape or not exactly replicated.

3. Is there an easier way to label in this space? As applying a label to create two different colours precisely can be a bit difficult with mapping (I would try mapping with camera but it moves along with the camera instead of what keyshot 6-7 used to do which was keep the texture in place from what I've been seeing) Any tips for that or is this a photoshop related issue?

4. Is there an easier way to apply labels onto specific shapes of the model - for example with the drawing below, to create an outline of the shape as a label? Do you have to split the objects into several tiny pieces in order to get that precision?

5. When you are transforming a label, is there any way to transform it from the corners of the label so that it doesn't scale but stretch to create a curve like this?:

to

Essentially what I'm asking is - are there any quality of life techniques I can use to apply labels to increasingly more intricate models? With the aforementioned, mirroring, labels across parts and how to have greater control of labels etc to fit into spaces without having to resort to resizing rectangle shape selections to fill in the gaps. Are there any intensive tutorials I can look at to get a better understanding?

A good example of the sort of shapes I'd like to emulate:

(Note the silver/chrome lines dividing the black and green colours as well as the top silver/chrome lines at the top)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGcofy1leBd/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Zeltronic

Labels are very useful for small area and relatively simple surfaces, but because of their mode of projection their use remains limited (text, small logos etc ...), for more important designs such as lines or curves covering large surfaces UV mapping becomes essential (the use of software such as substance painter facilitates the task), however at the cost of a lot of effort it is possible to tinker with the labels interesting things, but from my point of view they are not suitable for complex patterns covering large complex objects, typically on the example that you provide the logos and numbers can be managed by the labels, but the lines and patterns that run along the body will be very complicated or even impossible to  implemented by this method.