Semi Transparent PETG

Started by KristofDeHulsters, January 12, 2021, 10:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KristofDeHulsters

So I've been trying to get this material right within Keyshot for a while now and I keep running into issues (which I solve in Photoshop afterwards). The material that I have problems solving is a very milky PETG Plastic. The fixture exists out of a hexagonal extrusion within a PETG "tube". On this extrusion LED's are placed which transmit light through the PETG giving a full 360 degrees light output. I tried solving it with a translucent material but I can't get it to work right, either the light on the surroundings gets way too dim to be realistic or the light becomes completely white (overexposed). What I do now is I go the completely white route and add the slight gradient and edges in post. Anyway to make this work straight out of Keyshot?

Thanks in advance guys! This forum is always so helpful!

Anindo Ghosh

For the hexagonal extrusion: "Glass Heavy Frost Bright White" material, transparency distance changed to slightly more than the wall thickness of the extrusion.
Playing with Transmission color and Refractive Index yields variations. 

For the LED: Object with material set to Area Light, contained within the hexagonal extrusion, leaving a large gap between inner face of extrusion and LED object itself. Area Light material set to not be visible to camera. Area Light power set to 0 gives a lights-off daylight view of the fitting.

Exposure adjusted to -1 EV to avoid the lights being blown out. Caustics enabled. No Photoshop involved.

KSP is attached.

KristofDeHulsters

[SOLVED] Thank you so much Anindo! You made a cooler looking design that what I am actually working on but you're material definitely worked. After comparing your dielectric with mine, it still had the same issues were the fixture wasn't outputting any light onto the ceiling. Turns out this was mainly because I am still working in Keyshot 9. I gave the free trial a go and remade your material in there: all of a sudden a world of difference! I saved the material and Keyshot 9 is also still capable of loading it in correctly. Underneath the result of the same setup with Keyshot 9 Dielectric vs Keyshot 10 Dielectric

Anindo Ghosh

Happy I could help.

It's interesting that the dielectric behavior carried back from KS10 to KS9 as you say. Could someone at Luxion comment on how that's happening, I wonder?