Texture map doesn't work well on AR of iPhone via USDZ

Started by Higuchi, April 05, 2021, 10:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Higuchi

I've been struggling about the error of texture mapping on AR of iPhone via USDZ. According to my tests, any mapping data doesn't work well. Does any one can make it? It doesn't seem to be related just to Texture but Label as well.

I know USDZ can contain texture data, as you can see it below supported by Apple. You can easily play AR on you iPhone!
https://developer.apple.com/jp/augmented-reality/quick-look/

INNEO_MWo

Hello Ryosuke.

What is the problem with texture mapping in your USDz file?

CheerEO
Marco

Higuchi

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, my .usdz cannot express texture mapping data on AR. For example, wood, marble stone, logo, bump, and so on. Every model which I added texture mapping looked black out on AR, although it can properly work on Keyshot real time view.

But, after that, I tested same material for simple geometric model like a cube. Then, it could work well on AR, namely I could see wood material on it. Based on this test, that error does not seem to always occur. I cannot figure out the factor of this problem so far.

INNEO_MWo

Hello Ryosuke.

Reduce your product scene (that one, that doesn't work) to one specific part (one of them, that looks black). Then check the normals of this part. Flip them if you see any red polygons in the flip normals window.
Now bake a USDZ file and check it with your phone.
If this works - then check and correct the normals for every part.

And sadly, there is no real good working way to correct all normals with one magic click. Scripting doesn't work currently. Export the scene as OBJ or FBX and re-import with normal calculation also does not 100% job (it might help with a handful / few parts not correcting manually) and you have to re-map paste all the materials and textures.

Hope that helps

CheerEO
Marco

Higuchi

Thank you for the advice, but I know this issue and I've make them correct.
https://manual.keyshot.com/manual/tools-3/flip-normals/

I think this normal direction is not related to my original problem, because I've gotten proper consequence with just simple diffuse color material. But, when I changed the material to the another one including bitmap data for texture mapping, the model became black out which is a bit different from the black out caused by normal direction issue.

INNEO_MWo

Can you share an example to show this issue. A KSP would help.

Higuchi

Sorry, it's difficult to open my data to the public...

Possibly, It might occur with only this given IGES data, but it seems to take a long time to find out radical factor of this issue.

Higuchi

Hi there,

I finally achieved satisfied consequence. As far as I guess, the factor of that failure was caused file name which contains Japanese languages. In general, sometimes it happens caused by same factor when we Japanese people use Windows or MacOS. After changing the file name, the error didn't happen so far.

Hope it would be your reference!

INNEO_MWo

Thank you Ryosuke for sharing the solution. That should help other users.