Curvature node on Fuzz

Started by Kico, April 07, 2021, 09:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kico

Hi folks ,

I've been using curvature node since I couldn't remember and it always got the masking job done perfectly.
But this time I couldn't get it work on Fuzz !

The idea is to have the fuzz only on the fillet surface ( please see screenshots below ). I've struggled to find the logic this for a few days now , so really appreciate if anyone could shed some lights for me .

INNEO_MWo

If your goal should look like this, then you have to split the surfaces on a duplicated object.
I couldn't get it work with nodes in any way (and I checked a lot!)

TGS808

I tried also, Marco. Tried Curvature and Contour. No dice on either. The split surface seems the best option to get the look.

Kico

Thank you gents , for taking time to look into this , appreciate !

I had to go with splitting surfaces too on my project ... it's a good workaround !
Hope KeyShot could solve this soon , cos splitting on a footwear project is not fun sometimes :D

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: TGS808 on April 08, 2021, 12:47:40 PM
I tried also, Marco. Tried Curvature and Contour. No dice on either. The split surface seems the best option to get the look.
Contour can't work in this case, cause it respects the camera position. So the size of the edges depends on camera orientation and surrounding parts. But you need a clipped area located in fixed positions.

Even combinations with adjustment nodes or occlusion (inside) doesn't work in this case. It seems that nodes that are effected by outer conditions like camera position, topology, near parts, etc won't work for driving the density of the fuzz.

But you can drive the density with a texture that is pure white and has an alpha channel. So for shoes, I would use a poly painter and draw the clipping areas. Now you can map that texture along the UV's and drive the density instead of cutting polygons.

Hope that helps

CheerEO
Marco

INNEO_MWo

Here's an example to my last post

TGS808

Yes, the "white you see it, black you don't" definitely works as using Spots in density will illustrate.

Kico

Yeah , every map works ( being able to generate the mask ) except Curvature