Multible, indepentent displacement maps in one texture

Started by germannick, April 30, 2021, 05:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

germannick

I need your clever ideas for my problem.

in the attached image you will find the left pipe welded onto a floor sheet. The weld is created with a displacement map. I would like to add a second and complettly indipendent displacement map onto the right pipe. I like to avoid using seperate geomertries for it, beccause the final texture needs to have a contineous worn appeal and no visual breaks (it will be used in an animation and not as a still image where I could retouch it).

Thank you in advance

Eric Summers

Do you need to be able to control both displacement maps? If it's just a matter of setting both up (and you won't need to come back and change anything later), you can create a "baked" displacement. I learned this neat trick from Eric (bdesign).

Start by applying one displacement map to the geometry, then export the part as an .obj (.stl should work too). Import that file into your scene and apply the second displacement map. Of course the downside to this is that you can't edit the initial displacement. So until we can actually bake displacement or have multiple displacement nodes, this is the only way I know of. Hope it helps!

TGS808

Don't have anything to add here that would help as I really think Eric gave you your best and only solution. Just wanted to say, those welds look really good.

KristofDeHulsters

Quote from: Eric Summers on April 30, 2021, 07:23:36 AM
Do you need to be able to control both displacement maps? If it's just a matter of setting both up (and you won't need to come back and change anything later), you can create a "baked" displacement. I learned this neat trick from Eric (bdesign).

Start by applying one displacement map to the geometry, then export the part as an .obj (.stl should work too). Import that file into your scene and apply the second displacement map. Of course the downside to this is that you can't edit the initial displacement. So until we can actually bake displacement or have multiple displacement nodes, this is the only way I know of. Hope it helps!

I am going to try this tomorrow, I didn't know this was possible at all! That's so cool and useful to know, thanks Eric for sharing!

germannick

Quote from: Eric Summers on April 30, 2021, 07:23:36 AM

Hi Eric,

thank you for your feedback. That was my work around within Rhino. I did not think to use this method in Keyshot instead (works much faster) I'll follow your suggestion forward!!!

germannick

Quote from: TGS808 on April 30, 2021, 09:17:04 AM
Don't have anything to add here that would help as I really think Eric gave you your best and only solution. Just wanted to say, those welds look really good.

Hi TGS808 , thank you for your compliment. It took me a few tries to create this seamless texture to create this displacement map (Illustrator was a better helper than Photoshop this time)

Morgan

hello germannick,
generally a good job, I'm sorry to say that but the welding seams are unfortunately wrong, as an welder wich such seams, I woud lose my job,
but If you can tell me what type of welding it should be and what material it is, I can help you with the right seams.
Christian

Anindo Ghosh

germannick

Quote from: Morgan on May 03, 2021, 02:41:19 AM
hello germannick,
generally a good job, I'm sorry to say that but the welding seams are unfortunately wrong, as an welder wich such seams, I woud lose my job,
but If you can tell me what type of welding it should be and what material it is, I can help you with the right seams.
Christian

Hi Morgan,
any hints and clues are very welcome. Thank you for your offer!!! Its my first "welding" experience, and not only on Keyshot.
Here are two images that I recieved from my client as reference of their material and color. Also the welding lines are visible. You can tell, I already cleaned them up a bit because they seems really rugged.

Morgan

Sorry for the late response but I was on the way.
Here are pictures with correct tee joint pipe weldings.
I hope I could help and I am happy to answer any further questions.

designgestalt

for what it is worth,
Magnus Skogsfjord nailed it pretty much on the head...
check out his post and tutorial...

https://forum.keyshot.com/index.php?topic=21835.msg92938#msg92938

cheers
designgestalt