Need help with files from Sketchup (facets and textures)

Started by Light_design, May 20, 2021, 05:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Light_design

Hello all,

I am running in lot of problems trying to do renders of items that have been made (not by me) in Sketchup. For some items, I have the sketchup file (but only the free version of the sketchup software), otherwise I am left to deal with 3DS files or DWG.

The two main problems are:

Circles that are not smooth, image 1:
I understand this is how Sketchup works and the designer should have specified 360 facets when drawing circles but they didn't. Most of them I don't have the Sketchup file, and 3DS and DWG don't manage to be smoothed too easy using  "Edit Normals". Is that normal? Is there any other way to smooth these things in Keyshot?

Textures:
The second problem is that (even for the sketchup file) if you look at image 2, when applying a material like brushed brass, the material is organised in sections which have no sense on a tube or a surface, and the brushing go in different directions. Is there any way to fix that at all?

If not in Keyshot, could both problems be repaired if I had the Sketchup files (but only using the free sketchup version)?

Thanks all for your help!

Light_design

Anybody that could help me with that? I can't believe that I would be the only one with this problem... :(

richardfunnell

To get smoother circles, you will have to remodel the parts. I'm sorry to say it, but there's no way to fix this without increasing the quality of your starting geometry :/

The second issue, with incorrect texture directions, can be fixed by splitting the faces and applying one texture to the sides and another to the top. Use the "Move Texture" tool to rotate the brush so it's in the correct direction. Alternatively, for the sides of the shape, change the mapping type to Cylindrical.

As a note, you can still download SketchUp Make 2017, which is free for personal use: https://help.sketchup.com/en/downloading-older-versions
That should allow you to re-model these parts. If you're unable to open the newer SketchUp files in SU 2017, upload them to the free, cloud-based SketchUp, and then download the file as a 2017 version.