Multiple label stacking not working

Started by GHALTD, July 02, 2021, 03:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GHALTD

So I have an object with a semi transparent surface. I have a label I put on it but the reverse side shows through as black. In reality we print white on the oject then print colour over the top.

I've tried to replicate this by placing 2 labels on the bottle. The main label being the full colour one and the second label being the same but just having a white overlay placed on in photoshop (so exactly the same size etc...)

I match these labels up and when I do I get the same black reverse of the label. If I turn off the colour label I get the result on the other side I want. So to me I should stack the main coloured label above the white one in the labels menu. This should give me the coloured one abovee the white one but from the reverse side of the object it seems to show the colour one rather than the white one that's underneath.

I did notice turning off self shadows helps reduce the black but I really need the see the coloured one from one side and the white underneath from the other side. I've attached some screen shots to show you what I mean. Have tried to label them so they make sense as the what I've tried to do.

Thanks.

GHALTD

In case my rambling wasn't too clear. I want it like this but on that bottle. Coloured one side, white the other.

These images are placed on one side with the colour stacked above the white. The colour is set to display one side while the white is set to display Two sided.

So it works on a plane but adding it to the bottle doesn't for some reason.

richardfunnell

The frustrating thing here is that what you're doing should work, and used to work in previous versions of KeyShot. I'm not sure why the two-sided checkbox isn't behaving as expected with cylindrical projection, but I'm running into the same issues as you. Normally (like in your flat example), the label order allows you to define what direction the labels are visible from.

In the screenshot and scene attached, I was able to get OK results using the curvature node to act as a mask for the "outer" surface. This setup ensures that only the outer surface is visible, even when the "inside" is visible as well. Again, this used to work in previous versions.

Further note: Separating the inner and outer surfaces was necessary to avoid the double labels; solid glass & dielectric worked in this case. However, I got a lot of terrible/unexpected results using materials like cloudy plastic or translucent medium when labels were turned off or the materials on the surfaces were unlinked. Really let down with the results of this scene.

GHALTD

Quote from: richardfunnell on July 02, 2021, 07:10:59 AM
The frustrating thing here is that what you're doing should work, and used to work in previous versions of KeyShot. I'm not sure why the two-sided checkbox isn't behaving as expected with cylindrical projection, but I'm running into the same issues as you. Normally (like in your flat example), the label order allows you to define what direction the labels are visible from.

In the screenshot and scene attached, I was able to get OK results using the curvature node to act as a mask for the "outer" surface. This setup ensures that only the outer surface is visible, even when the "inside" is visible as well. Again, this used to work in previous versions.

Further note: Separating the inner and outer surfaces was necessary to avoid the double labels; solid glass & dielectric worked in this case. However, I got a lot of terrible/unexpected results using materials like cloudy plastic or translucent medium when labels were turned off or the materials on the surfaces were unlinked. Really let down with the results of this scene.

Cool. So I wasn't doing anything wrong. Ha ha.

What version of Keyshot are you using and do you remeber what the last version that this worked on?

Thanks also for the reply :-)

richardfunnell

I'd love to be proven wrong on this, and that there's a critical step that I missed. Last time I remember trying something like this was pre-KeyShot 7, so it's been a while. At the moment I'm running KS 10.2.

GHALTD

Quote from: richardfunnell on July 02, 2021, 09:14:33 AM
I'd love to be proven wrong on this, and that there's a critical step that I missed. Last time I remember trying something like this was pre-KeyShot 7, so it's been a while. At the moment I'm running KS 10.2.

Ah, that long ago?

Yeah, it works on a plane but add it to an object and it stops stacking correctly. So it works to a point. Weird.