Substance Painter Alternative

Started by KristofDeHulsters, August 16, 2021, 01:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

Quote from: Jon-213 on September 14, 2021, 09:23:04 AM
Traditional texture painting in KeyShot will (probably) require a finished model (with UVs or with frozen vertex order in the case of vertex painting) and that is a lot less useful than the current node system that can adapt to changing geometry.

The texture painting in KeyShot, which will be introduced in KeyShot 11, will neither require UV unwrapping nor rely on vertices.
I guess it is a bit nontraditional in that way. :)

Quote from: Jon-213 on September 14, 2021, 09:23:04 AM
If the mesh has a certain level of complexity (or not so clean geo) you will have to make the uv unwrapping in another app. If the requirements for using the painting system in KeyShot are the same that you have in Painter or Mixer, and you are already out of KeyShot doing retopo, UVs, etc, probably you will stay out doing texture painting too...

The texture painting feature has been designed against the requirement that it should work for models of any complexity (triangle count, surface layout etc.) and "cleanliness". We specifically want our customers not to have to deal with UV unwrapping and/or retopology, just to get started with painting. It should "just work".

Dries

Zeltronic

hurry to see what this new tool will look like, will there be different kind of brushes ? can we be able to import photoshop brushes ? well well big teasing ;)

mattjgerard

Quote from: Zeltronic on September 24, 2021, 07:22:49 AM
hurry to see what this new tool will look like, will there be different kind of brushes ? can we be able to import photoshop brushes ? well well big teasing ;)

Whens the 11 private beta start up!!!!!

Jon-213

"The texture painting in KeyShot, which will be introduced in KeyShot 11, will neither require UV unwrapping nor rely on vertices.
I guess it is a bit nontraditional in that way. :)"

"The texture painting feature has been designed against the requirement that it should work for models of any complexity (triangle count, surface layout etc.) and "cleanliness". We specifically want our customers not to have to deal with UV unwrapping and/or retopology, just to get started with painting. It should "just work"."

Wow !!!
KeyShot 11 it's looking amazing already !!!
:)

INNEO_MWo

cameraman!1

Quote from: KristofDeHulsters on August 18, 2021, 01:25:34 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the advice! I did some digging myself the last few days. I settled on Quixel Mixer! It is not as expansive as Substance but it is really good for a free to download software and combined with what comes in Keyshot is an excellent alternative to Substance (which, let's face it, is expensive).

Im curious how your experience was with this? I'm contemplating using this too.

Thanks!

lshank

I would love the ability to paint weldments