What's wrong with RTX 5000 16 GB | Keyshot 10.2 ?

Started by Bacchinif6, November 05, 2021, 01:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacchinif6

Hi everyone, I'm posting a new thread because I'm having some issues with my laptop and its RTX 5000 while using Keyshot (latest educational version, 10.2).
I don't know why while render the Cuda usage doesn't stay stable on 100% but constatly alternates between 100% and 0% like this:

Also, what's not clear to me is the following:

- I'm having some issues while changing the environment. For some reason the GPU mode is disabled and the scene automatically switches to CPU mode.

- CPU mode seems to be faster in the viewport (smoother scrolling and panning) for no apparent reason.

- GPU mose is only like 1.5 faster than CPU mode while rendering.

I intentionally bought a laptop with a 16 GB dedicated GPU because most of my scenes are very complex... but for some reason I'm starting to feel that my "old" RTX 2060 6 GB was performing better overall.

Any idea?

INNEO_MWo

You can try another driver for the card. Maybe an older one might work better?!?

Bacchinif6

Quote from: INNEO_MWo on November 06, 2021, 11:59:00 AM
You can try another driver for the card. Maybe an older one might work better?!?

Uhm, why should I do that? It's always recommended to have things updated, right?

I'm only scared that the issue may be related to this:

- The RTX 5000 Mobile is NOT optimized for Keyshot due to being a "Quadro" card.

- I'm using an Educational version of Keyshot that has lower / worse performance than the full one.

Also this is the list of programs using GPU on my PC right now (atm Keyshot is also rendering a scene) and for some reason Keyshot is not highlighted:

TGS808

Quote from: Bacchinif6 on November 07, 2021, 02:15:10 AM

It's always recommended to have things updated, right?

No, not always. That's not a rule. The only ones who recommend you to always update is a manufacturer and they have their own reasons for saying that will benefit them but not necessarily benefit you, the end user. It falls under: if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Bacchinif6

Quote from: TGS808 on November 07, 2021, 07:35:23 AM
Quote from: Bacchinif6 on November 07, 2021, 02:15:10 AM

It's always recommended to have things updated, right?

No, not always. That's not a rule. The only ones who recommend you to always update is a manufacturer and they have their own reasons for saying that will benefit them but not necessarily benefit you, the end user. It falls under: if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

I don't think something's broken. I was just asking why:

- CPU seems to be faster while moving in the viewport.

- I don't see a huge improvement in rendering speed compared to my old 2060 Mobile Max Q.

For that reason I'm assuming that something might be wrong with my card and / or with the settings.

Erik Williams

The RTX 5000 is fully supported, so you should have no problems with this card.

Its possible the KeyShot is actually reading the wrong GPU card, or no card all together.
To see if this is the case and to set KeyShot to use the correct card as the preferred GPU, please follow the steps below:

1. Open the Nvidia control panel.
2. Go to Manage 3D settings.
3. Go to the Program Settings.
4. Select KeyShot from the Drop-down.
5. If it is not available add the KeyShot.exe manually by browsing to it below.

C:\Program Files\KeyShot #\bin\keyshot.exe
    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\ in the KeyShot #\bin\keyshot.exe

6. Select your Nvidia graphics card under preferred graphics processor.
7. Click Apply and restart KeyShot.

Bare in mind that there may be instances where Windows will override the Nvidia Settings, so please confirm these changes have been saved before proceeding.

If this does not work, it will sound odd but try actually downgrading your current GPU drivers to an older version.
I am suggesting this because the latest Nvidia drivers have been causing some issues with the platform.
Try downgrading to versions 472.12 through 466.11 to see if you get a more stable connection.

Also, please confirm that your power plan and settings are set to High Performance for the best results.

Let us know what happens.

Best Regards,

Erik Williams
Luxion Customer Support

Bacchinif6

Quote from: Erik Williams on November 10, 2021, 05:49:34 AM
The RTX 5000 is fully supported, so you should have no problems with this card.

Its possible the KeyShot is actually reading the wrong GPU card, or no card all together.
To see if this is the case and to set KeyShot to use the correct card as the preferred GPU, please follow the steps below:

1. Open the Nvidia control panel.
2. Go to Manage 3D settings.
3. Go to the Program Settings.
4. Select KeyShot from the Drop-down.
5. If it is not available add the KeyShot.exe manually by browsing to it below.

C:\Program Files\KeyShot #\bin\keyshot.exe
    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\ in the KeyShot #\bin\keyshot.exe

6. Select your Nvidia graphics card under preferred graphics processor.
7. Click Apply and restart KeyShot.

Bare in mind that there may be instances where Windows will override the Nvidia Settings, so please confirm these changes have been saved before proceeding.

If this does not work, it will sound odd but try actually downgrading your current GPU drivers to an older version.
I am suggesting this because the latest Nvidia drivers have been causing some issues with the platform.
Try downgrading to versions 472.12 through 466.11 to see if you get a more stable connection.

Also, please confirm that your power plan and settings are set to High Performance for the best results.

Let us know what happens.

Best Regards,

Erik Williams
Luxion Customer Support

Thank you very much for your explanation.
As you can see from the attached file it was already set like this: