Wood, UVmapping and confusing...

Started by melik.ayhan, December 25, 2021, 08:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

melik.ayhan

Hello! I am kinda new Keyshot render. So I have so many questions. First of all, I really want to improve myself with rendering. My aim is to become an industrial designer with more knowledge on Keyshot. Anyway, I got confused with UVmapping and wood (or other materials). I want to learn the logic behind it. I mean, I want to learn, not memorize. So, here is my question. We have furniture design and build course in our university. On the Rhinoceros model below, I have my stool design which is easy to understand. But I want to render it with Keyshot 9. In photorealistic way. I tried to understand to use of UVmapping, wood and more, of course. But I am kinda stuck! All I need is proper wood material looking on model(s). Any suggestion for me? I am open to any help! Thank you all.

HaroldL

I don't think you need to unwrap the parts to add wood material. You should get some decent results by add some Procedural Wood and tweaking the heck out of it.
Here's a small project I just finished. Maybe not the best example but it should give you an idea.

melik.ayhan

Thank you for your answer. The result I want to have is this beautiful oak looking. What should be done for this?

INNEO_MWo

This is just a question of what material type you use and how to combine this with the textures. A simple and great start is learn some material graph skills. Then load some wood materials from the cloud. Read and tweak the material graph nodes. Done!
I prefer the KISS principle – keep it simple and smart
Just a simple plastic would bring the correct result. You can also use the advanced material, if you want to use the ambient channel. If you need some clear coat or oily finish, then anisotropic or metallic paint would be an option.

For simple shapes that are not bend, you don't need UV unwrap to get useful results. The procedural textures work great at flat and block formed parts.

Curious to see some results.

CheerEO
Marco

P.S. written in short form on a mobile device

mattjgerard

The three biggest things I've learned for surfaces like this is the Color Map (main texture), roughness map, and lighting.

melik.ayhan

Well, hello again! This is what I have done so far.

Bacchinif6

mattjgerard

now find that sketchy little "Rounded Edges" Setting and you will be good to go! Looking great!