KS11 Network rendering can't extract

Started by mattjgerard, February 15, 2022, 01:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

Installed KS 11 Network Rendering, have it running next to 10 while we put it through testing. Problem is that when the image is done and NR tries to download it to the destination, it says it failed to extract to the folder.

1) Permissions are fine, KS 10 NR is downloading to the same network folder.
2) Destination is valid and alive on the network
3) Renders through the queue fine if rendering int he background and will save to the destination folder. It seems to be just the NR instance that can't save to that folder.

Not sure what else to look at?

Niko Planke

Hey Matthgerard,

we have not observed this on our setup, so it might be scene specific.

Depending on the Render type you may want to check if the output or resource files contain special characters. In a mixed OS setup, the characters / ? < > \ : * | " and filenames and paths above 255 characters can cause problems.

Also make sure that you are using a KeyShot 11 network rendering monitor to connect to the KS 11 manager.

If the issue persists i would suggest you contact support@luxion.com and provide them with the network rendering log files.

Best regards
Niko

sc4r4b

Are the final renders downloading to a local KS resources folder?  Or are the files rendering to a network server directory?

mattjgerard

Quote from: Niko Planke on February 16, 2022, 06:33:43 AM
Hey Matthgerard,

we have not observed this on our setup, so it might be scene specific.

Depending on the Render type you may want to check if the output or resource files contain special characters. In a mixed OS setup, the characters / ? < > \ : * | " and filenames and paths above 255 characters can cause problems.

Also make sure that you are using a KeyShot 11 network rendering monitor to connect to the KS 11 manager.

If the issue persists i would suggest you contact support@luxion.com and provide them with the network rendering log files.

Best regards
Niko

I have made sure that the KS11 NR is the only one running, as I was doing some tests. It was actually working out well, KS10 was sending to NR10, KS11 was sending to NR11. I was able to render to a local folder (desktop) then switched it back to the network folder and it is also working again. Seems to be some sort of network shared folder permission thing. I'll start NR 10 back up again and see if it will work. If not, I'll try assigning each NR to a different Network folder.

Thanks niko!

mattjgerard

Quote from: sc4r4b on February 16, 2022, 12:47:42 PM
Are the final renders downloading to a local KS resources folder?  Or are the files rendering to a network server directory?

It seems to be rendering to the local Cache just fine, but can't comp the image and copy it to the network folder. More testing to confirm it some weird network permission issue. That's what it seems like.

Niko Planke

I am glad it works again.

There is a lot that can go wrong with network communication, it can be hard to identify the exact cause.

It might be interesting for your investigation to know that the downloading is done by the monitor so the files are first send from the manager to your local machine running the monitor and then from there saved to the network location. Resulting in there being two network transfers that could cause problems.