Is this possible ? Copying UV map data between two models

Started by hve, March 27, 2022, 01:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hve

Hello,

is it possible to copy UV map between two models ? I have two exactly the same model just imported differently one step file and one gltf format (exported from Substance painter) and I'd like to copy the IV mapping from one model to the other, I thought simply copying material would do the job but this doesn't seem to work, thanks,

TGS808

Short answer is no, it doesn't work that way.

Though your models are the same their UVs are different. The model that you textured in Substance has been told (by Substance) how to interpret the textures you applied and where to put them on the model based on UVs that were set up in Substance. The STEP file does not contain any of that UV info because it has never been through the texturing process in Substance. Simply copying the material from the file that came out of Substance on to the STEP won't work because the STEP has not been set up with UVs that tell it how to understand and place that material properly.

hve

Quote from: TGS808 on March 27, 2022, 03:30:02 PM
Short answer is no, it doesn't work that way.

Though your models are the same their UVs are different. The model that you textured in Substance has been told (by Substance) how to interpret the textures you applied and where to put them on the model based on UVs that were set up in Substance. The STEP file does not contain any of that UV info because it has never been through the texturing process in Substance. Simply copying the material from the file that came out of Substance on to the STEP won't work because the STEP has not been set up with UVs that tell it how to understand and place that material properly.

Thanks for your answer so there's no way to copy that UV information over from one model to another ? that's sad but good to know I learn everyday :) thanks