What is the status on subscription costs?

Started by quigley, August 18, 2022, 03:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quigley

There was a topic here a few months back regarding Luxion switching to a subscription model for Keyshot 12. I've not had any communications from Luxion or our reseller, Inneo, about this, until receiving this today:

I just want to let you know that during December we will be experiencing a high volume of keyshot maintenance renewals plus, it is also a short business month.  Therefore, in the future, according to the INNEO T&C, we will automatically renew Keyshot maintenance for our customers whose maintenance renewal is due this month. Details can be found under: Terms & Conditions (inneo.co.uk)
This means that in the future, you will no longer receive a quote and will not need to send a purchase order or a signed copy of the quote.  You will only receive the invoice from us.
You can notify us of any objections to the automatic renewal until 30.09.2022. After 30.09.2022 the automatic renewal of the maintenance will take place according to the current TC.

Leaving aside the December automatic invoice thing (which I have responded to directly-Inneo moved all customers to a December renewal to tie in with their needs a few years ago), what I am interested in here is what exactly is happening with regards to maintenance vs subscription for 2023.

The cynical side of me looks at this email thinking subscription by the back door. Want to bet that invoice will be for subscription at £1200 or whatever? Even if it is not, what is the point of paying maintenance if Keyshot 12 is not a perpetual product license?

Some communication from Luxion and resellers would be useful here for users.

quigley

Follow up to this.
Apparently EXISTING customers on active maintenance plans have the ability to stay on maintenance plans for perpetual licenses beyond version 12. Further more, existing customers on active maintenance can purchase additional perpetual licenses and maintenance even though all new customers and cuts of on maintenance only have the subscription model.
This is what the resellers have told me. Would be useful in Luxion could have communicated this to customers?

quigley

Going to bump this as I've been asked by several Keyshot customers offline.
Anyone from Luxion care to comment?
It is kind of important and perhaps an explanatory email or post here would help?

quigley

I don't think anyone at Luxion looks at this forum any more.
Or perhaps this topic is something policy is being made up on a day to day basis. I mean it's not like this impacts on every single customer  ::)

mattjgerard

Quote from: quigley on August 31, 2022, 03:56:17 PM
I don't think anyone at Luxion looks at this forum any more.
Or perhaps this topic is something policy is being made up on a day to day basis. I mean it's not like this impacts on every single customer  ::)

you are correct. The number of Luxion employees on here dropped significantly after they opened the alternate tech help forums. you need to call them directly to get any help. In that way they are pretty good at customer service.

Melissa Henley

Thanks for bringing this up for discussion @quigley. For those of you I haven't met, I head up customer success at Luxion.

To clarify, customers who are currently on maintenance will have the ability to upgrade to the next perpetual version of KeyShot as well as add new licenses and modules to their perpetual systems. New customers, and customers who chose not to purchase maintenance before KeyShot 11 was released in February, will only be able to purchase KeyShot subscription. Current KeyShot customers - whether on maintenance or not - are eligible for discounts if they would like to convert to subscription. If you are interested in discovering what discounts you might be eligible for, please feel free to reach out using the email in my profile.

KeyShot communicated this to customers who purchased directly through the KeyShot website. If you purchased from a reseller, your reseller would have communicated this information to you. If you are not signed up for the customer newsletter and other KeyShot marketing emails, you can do so here: https://www.keyshot.com/news/newsletters/

As an FYI, we are currently building out a new customer community – you can think of it as the next generation of the current forums. In the new community, you can ask questions, network with other members of the KeyShot community, share your ideas to improve the product, brush up on your KeyShot skills, and earn points to redeem for rewards (including a free year of KeyShot Pro) while you do it. If you are interested in testing it out and giving feedback, or if you have any questions, you can reach out to me directly using the email address in my profile. Otherwise, please stay tuned for more announcements on the release of the community both here and in the KeyShot Newsletter.

For technical support questions, I highly encourage you to use the Technical Support Forums located here: https://luxion.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/60000014240. These forums are monitored regularly by our technical support engineers. For specific support issues, please file a ticket here: https://luxion.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new

If you have any additional questions, or if I can be of further assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Sid Hatrack

"the next perpetual version of KeyShot"? Could you expand on this? Perhaps I missed something, but my understanding is that with the release of KS 11 last year the perpetual license was no longer going to be offered and the software was going to be perscription only. Thus I do not understand this reference to a next perpetual version.

TGS808

Quote from: Sid Hatrack on September 07, 2022, 05:46:12 AM
"the next perpetual version of KeyShot"? Could you expand on this? Perhaps I missed something, but my understanding is that with the release of KS 11 last year the perpetual license was no longer going to be offered and the software was going to be perscription only. Thus I do not understand this reference to a next perpetual version.

You overlooked the important part of that sentence:

"To clarify, customers who are currently on maintenance will have the ability to upgrade to the next perpetual version of KeyShot as well as add new licenses and modules to their perpetual systems."

If you're not on maintenance, it doesn't apply.

quigley

Indeed. I think that is the question existing customers on maintenance wanted to have confirmation of. This is clearly a rethink by Luxion (good).
The burning question though, for us, is how long will this last? Just for the next version? These are important questions we need answers for.

Naureka Design

Unfortunately my reseller didn't inform me about changes of the subscription policy and didn't offer me any maintenance subscription on time. Now I'm left with a $1950 software that I will never be able to upgrade. I was offered $240 discount for new subscription, but my perpetual license will have to be deactivated. Not a very good deal.
Investing huge amount of money in buying KeyShot was a huge mistake for me.