Best way to run KS via Windows on a Mac?

Started by danclarkwcp, January 07, 2012, 10:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danclarkwcp

We just recently got KS, and now the KS3 upgrade. I see the Mac version of KS3 does not have the "use old importers" option, which seems to be useful. I also can't use HDR Light Studio, since it's Windows only. So, I'm considering running Windows on my Mac, just so that I can run the PC version of KS, and get Light Studio. I have done some research, which seems to show:

- If I go the BootCamp/Windows route, I'll need to reformat my HD, as I've already split it into 4 partitions. I'll also have to reinstall all our applications, plus the Mac OSX and Windows. I'd rather not do that, if I don't have to. This route also means I'll have to restart every time I want to go in or out of KS, since I don't have, or foresee, using Windows for anything else.

- I could go the VMWare (or something similar) route. Has anyone done this? If so, is it slower, or are there other disadvantages?

- Also, what versions of Windows 7 should I use? I've looked at Microsoft's comparison list, and don't think I'd need anything fancier than the Home Premium edition, tho' I don't know that for certain.

TIA,
Dan Clark
www.weinberg-clark.com

guest84672

Bootcamp is fine - no need to reformat your hard drive. I use both - bootcamp and VMware. VMware is fine, too, because you can tell it how many processors and how much memory to use. One thing though, make sure to upgrade your memory if you go the VMWare route. I have 8GB on my MacBook Pro 15".

The reason why you don't have the "use old importers" option for the Mac is that there aren't any "old importers" for SW and SE.

danclarkwcp

Thanks for the quick reply Thomas. I have 16Gb RAM, so I think I'm OK there. I think I'll try the VMware route. Does it matter which version of Win7 I get?

Dan Clark
www.weinberg-clark.com

guest84672

Not really - just make sure that you can access all the processors and RAM if needed. I remember Vista having this limitation with the lower end versions. Not sure about Win7 - have been using 64bit Ultimate ever since.