help creating glow edge acrylic

Started by cash68, July 08, 2010, 09:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cash68

I need to make an orange glow edge acrylic.   Any tips?

guest84672

I am not really sure what you are looking for.

klaus_77

This is not really the way to do it, but you could assign a different material to the edges and make it an almost opaque, glowing, slightly emmitting material?

ohashi3d

This topic may be obsolete, but I'm wondering why the edges of acrylic plate glows bright.
Apparently diffusing compound helps it to be brighter, but diffusing characteristic derived
from roughness of edge is more important...I polished the edge of an acrylic plate partially,
then it loses brightness a little.
And in my observation, my test acrylic plate does not glow at all in real dark room.
So, it looks fluorescent, but not fluorescent...just diffusing the light.

Anyway, it's a good way to assign a different material to the edges for realistic looking.
I attached two images...brightness of environment are 1 and 0.4.
Both images include 4 plates...1 material for all surfaces/ 2 materials for main and edges, and green / orange.

Thanks

Richman

Thanks! nice tests.

Light is captured by the large surface and is reflected inside the material to the edges, thats what creates the glowing edges.

jhiker

Nice scene!.
I'm missing something basic here. When I try to apply the shiny materials to the plate edges it applies to the whole plate.
How do you apply one material to the plate and another to the edges on the same plate?
Thanks!

jhiker

Ah - seems it's a limitation of my CAD package..  :-\

guest84672

Apply a different color to the edge surfaces in you CAD package.

J.B.

Depending on your CAD package, you may have to physically unattach the face to get it to allow you to change the color. (That's how mine works) If I simply change the color of the face, Keyshot will duplicate the face with one over the top of the other and allow you to change the duplicate but not the original.