Keyshot Asset Library?

Started by bn86, November 14, 2013, 04:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bn86

Hello,

Whenever I import a model into an existing scene (e.g. adding a TV to a bedroom) I have to go through and set up all the textures for that TV model every time. I would prefer to just set up all those textures once per model - and then just pick a fully textured model from my collection and import.

Does anyone know the best way to go about this?

Should I set up a "material template" for each and every one of my model assets? Should I save each textured model as a Keyshot file and import that into my scene?

Ideally, I would have a model asset library (similar to the materials browser) where I can pick from my selection of fully textured models and add to the scene - but if that model is already in a scene it will get the textures automatically. How about that?

I'd love to hear any ideas or suggestions for a good workflow.

Thanks

Chad Holton

Hi,

We'll use the TV as an example. I would bring the TV (by itself) into KS, apply the textures and such and save the TV BIP on it's own. Then when your scene is ready for the TV, point to the TV BIP file and import it in. Hope this helps.

Chad

bn86

Thanks Chad, that's very helpful. So let me just check something:

What if I have the TV model already in place within the scene from my modelling software? Am I right in thinking that if I've previously set up a material template for that TV, it will gain all the right textures when I import the whole room?

Chad Holton

Hm.. that could get a little hairy. Not sure as it would depend on different factors.  :-\