Hong Kong Urban Night Scene + backplate(s)

Started by NDenekamp, March 03, 2014, 07:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NDenekamp

Hi Guys,

I'm getting back into my old hobby of photography. Going for HDRI panoramas this time

At the moment I'm building up my set up, and wanted to share the first results here on the forum as a free giveaway.

Attached in a tone mapped view of the panorama, and an example render using the backplate. Also you can take the pano for a spin here: https://www.360cities.net/image/hong-kong-light-rail-overpass-at-night#0.00,-12.84,79.3

To download the set including 2000px HDRI with tone mapped preview and a 1080px backplate with rendered preview download the .zip here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/28bsk1s6tl1on68/Light%20Rail%20Overpass%20-%202K%20HDRI%20%2B%20Backplate.zip

I have a few more backplates to add, which I'll post here later.

Cheers,

N

richardfunnell

NDenekamp

Thanks Richard!

I'm hoping to shoot a bunch more day and night time panos while I"m here in Hong Kong. I've scouted some nice locations but waiting for the weather to turn.. it's been just plain overcast and even rainy the last couple of days. It's ok for night time (it's not as if you'd be able to see any stars here anyway) but for daytime i"m waiting for some brighter skies or at least some cloud definition!

I'll make this and future panos available in higher resolutions at a small charge (as this hobby does require a quite a lot of fairly expensive kit) and may post some more standard resolution freebees here on the forum every once in a while.

TpwUK

thomasteger

feher

jhiker

Also you can take the pano for a spin here:

I have no idea how you did that but it's wonderful..  :) :)

NDenekamp

Thank a lot everyone!

As promised a few more backplates to go along with this scene, and I realised the previous backplate was 1080 in the width, not the height... so I've included the first backplate again now 1920 in width along with the others.

The link to download them is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/54ygsuepm4vxuk5/Light%20Rail%20Overpass%20-%20Backplates%20001-004.zip
To download the HDRI, use the link in the first post.

As a side note, as this is a night time HDRI, it can look a little dim with the default brightness of 1. i've found if you change to 6 or 7 it is more accurately exposed (judging by the chrome sphere.)

enjoy.

NDenekamp

NDenekamp

Would this be a good addition to an HDRI set? I didn't take a actual measurement at the time (but captured a car doing a U turn through the hatched section, and measured the overpass on google earth)

The grid is 0.5 x 0.5 meters, and the circle has a diameter of 4.5 meters (the length of an average car?) with radial markings every 30ยบ.

If this is a useful tool for people when using backplates when placing their models, I will make sure to take an actual measurement on scene from now on to get the best accuracy.

n

LiteHold

Wow, love this!!

Can't wait to see more of your work.

cadjockey

awesome images.

Can I ask, what is the black material applied to the sphere in the second picture? Is it a standard keyshot material?

Rich