WIP Interior Bathroom

Started by feher, September 11, 2014, 03:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feher

Hi All,

Well I'm diving into my first interior render that is not a vehicle....lol I thought I would show my progress of this.
I see a lot of people asking about Keyshot and interior renders. So I thought I would take a crack at it.
The room has four walls a ceiling and floor. All parts are on. The only thing that is lighting up to bathroom is the light going through the windows and the ies lights I have used in the ceiling fixture.

I decided I would light the scene first. Once I had the lighting the way I wanted it that's when I would start materializing the room. Make the material to the lighting not the lighting to the materials.
Here is my first lighting test.
I really like how I was able to get the shadows soft from the windows and much sharper off the stool.
I have not picked any angle yet. Again this is stage 1. (Lighting/Mood)

Comments suggestions are always welcome.
Tim

TpwUK

This is looking good Tim, nice clean models make it a good scene. I look forward to seeing more, eggshell latex paints look good on interior shots. I think your next step should be to just setup your reflective surfaces and get the GI bouncing around to see how it looks. I can't tell your cameras focal length setting either, but from my old photography days we always used 18 to 28 mm lenses for interiors to make them look larger rooms.

Martin

bronson

I will keep my eyes for this topic, as I always fail at rendering interior with KS.
Keep updating, Tim  :D

Bronson

cx66

Great, looking forward to see more

edwardo

This is looking good Tim. Good point about lighting the scene first (more or less) then materialising to the lighting. It took me a lot of too'ing and frowing to realise that. I'll be watching this thread like a hawk to see how you overcome a few 'challenges' i have experienced trying to do 'closed' interiors. Im also super curious to see what this 'indirect bounces' slider is all about... i'v got high hopes. Luxion knows how to do very convincing GI for interiors - iv seen it in their 'Visualizer' product for Velux. As far as camera lens widths, I disagree with Martin, a bit. The human eye is equivalent to 42mm or so. I think the nicest interior shots are 'intimate' shots around the 40mm range. Obviously, if you need to get more of a small room into the shot, then Martin is spot on, just be wary of overly wide lens shots - they end up looking like real estate agents photos.

My 'keyshot wet dream' is to model an interior I'm happy with, light it and materialise it, set where I want my camera, then output an HDRI, and a few backplates to be used 'as normal' in keyshot.

Looking forwards to seeing how you get on... good luck

Ed

mjb

This is interesting - I've got some interor shots coming up for an architectural gig. I've just been playing around with the Velux software, never seen it before.. and I have to say the results are pretty impressive (thanks Edwardo!)
Tim, how are you doing the lighting? - are you using the daytime sim in KS? Or are you bouncing light in? (via white plane or whatever for indirect lighting?).. looks good so far man.

feher

Thanks everyone for the comments and tips. I will look into all of them.
I made the windows a diffuse area light. I just needed alittle more fill light. The thing with IES lights is not to have them too bright. Your HDR still has to do most of the lighting of the scene.  If you turn off your dome and your scene does not change then your relying on the IES lights to much. Thats when you start to loose the realisium of the scene. Also sparkles start to happen when you render....rrrrrr Yes I used Keyshot 5 HDR editor for creating the early/late day light.
I'm excited to work on this. I hope I have some time this weekend.
Tim

Esben Oxholm

This is interesting indeed. I'm looking forward to see where you will take this!

mjb

I gotcha, thanks for the info.. your render looks super-clean, how many ray bounces/indirect bounces? ... and apologies for all the questions, but are you using the realtime or the actual renderer? If the latter, what are your settings?
Sorry, It's just useful to pick the brains of someone who knows what they're doing  ;D

feher

Quote from: mjb on September 12, 2014, 12:28:03 PM
I gotcha, thanks for the info.. your render looks super-clean, how many ray bounces/indirect bounces? ... and apologies for all the questions, but are you using the realtime or the actual renderer? If the latter, what are your settings?
Sorry, It's just useful to pick the brains of someone who knows what they're doing  ;D

OK for 95 % of my rendering I use 16 sample, 16 bounces, default for everything else.
I crank up the sample on the materials I create. Not in the render settings. For example almost all my materials I increase sample to 32.
I always raytrace my images very rarely will I do a realtime render.
I will have to do a video of how I set things up.
Tim

mjb

Cheers Tim!
A video would be most helpful :)

feher

Here is the first of  many images of this interior.
Tim

keaneray

Cha-ching. That's some great work Tim. Looking forward to that setup video when you have time.

feher

Thanks Guys !
Here is another version.
My next step will work out what to show outside.
Tim

mjb

Hey Tim, that looks really good . I assume that adding some of the more shiny materials lightened the room...because of light being bounced about? Did you compensate by lowering the amount of emitted light on your area light diffuse? What did you have it set at?
Looks great :)