Exporting Files for Color 3D Printing

Started by br3ttman, April 29, 2015, 04:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

br3ttman

Hi All,

If I understand correctly, KeyShot provides the ability to export files with color and texture data, giving the ability to print 3D models in full color.  I learned of a new 3D color printing technology by MCOR: http://mcortechnologies.com/industries/manufacturing-and-industrial/ and wanted to try a test print.  I exported this whisky barrel with color and texture data as shown in the rendering below.  I see that the export created both an .obj and .mtl file as expected.  However, when I reimport the file back into KeyShot, the barrel doesn't have the texture data mapped (2nd image below), so I'm wondering if it has exported correctly.  I've imported other .obj files and typically the texture data will come in mapped correctly.  Should I be doing something differently?

Rex

Hello,

Although the .OBJ export includes an .MTL file the textures will not be included. Textures are only exported with .ZPR

Best regards,
Rex

br3ttman

Sorry, but I don't see the .zpr option when exporting.  Is there one in KeyShot?

Also, I've exported and reimported the .stl file.  It does not contain texture or color data.

guest84672

ZPR is only supported on Windows, due to the limitations in the API.

You will need to use "vertex color" in order to get color and textures.

br3ttman

Thomas,

I rebooted my MacBook into Windows to gain access to the .zpr export functionality, but the results aren't any better.  When reimporting the .zpr file all I get is a mesh file without color/texture data (re-imported barrel on left)

br3ttman

Is there a tutorial for this?  Have any others had success exporting color textured 3D parts from KeyShot and then printing them on printers like the Stratasys Objet Connex, MCOR Iris, or a Z-Corp Zprinter?

Rex

Attached is a demo scene that has been successfully printed with a texture. In order for the texture to appear properly it must be uv mapped with all mapping parameters at their defaults.

http://we.tl/2Mxqo6esEp

Hope this helps!

aserati

What kind of printer did you used Rex? I want to print an object but I don't know how to set dimensions for the output. Found on the web a tool that is doing conversion from pixels into inches and I think I could use that, but I'm not so sure. Could you give me and opinion or an advice? Thank you!

br3ttman

So I use Creo and SolidWorks for my modeling software.  To my knowledge I don't have the ability to create UV coordinate texture maps in those software packages.  In the meantime, I'll create dozens of CAD models for clients each year that would significantly benefit from 3D color prints originating from my modeling software and then colored and textured mapped in KeyShot.  This is especially true during our early concept and product configuration studies.  Currently, we'll print, CNC, and/or hand build rapid semi-functional and appearance prototypes.  It we want different colors we have to prototype each part separately to print or paint them different colors and then assemble them.  And if we want graphics, we'll print them or create rubdowns and then apply them by hand.  If we print sheet graphics, we can only spray mount them to single-rule surfaces.  This entire process would be significantly faster and cleaner if we had the ability to print models with graphics in full color.  Moreover, it would fit within KeyShot's brand:  Renderings in minutes, not hours.  3D color prints in hours, not days or weeks.

So here's my request for next generation KeyShot improvements (unless the above workflow exists and I just haven't learned how to correctly do it):  I'd like the ability in KeyShot to generate a UV map based on my imported SolidWorks or Creo files.  If I if I had access to a polygon modeler like Maya, Mud Box, or Z-brush, I'd be able to import my geometry to one of those packages and create a UV map, correct?  However, to do that we'd need to buy and learn another CAD package.  If you could add this capability to KeyShot, not only would I be able to export my engineering CAD models post KeyShot decoration to 3D color printers, I'd also have the ability to export my UV texture maps to Photoshop for an even greater level of texture creation and manipulation.  This would be very powerful for designers and engineers using non-polygon modeling packages.  Please consider.

TpwUK

NURBs models should render fine with UV mapping selected and using the inbuilt procedural shaders that come with KeyShot. If you are exporting a polygon format such as OBJ or FBX etc then you may well need to use a third party UV mapping tool, but again most NURBs modelling apps when exporting to a polygon format will generate a basic UV mapping solution as long as the parts have had a colour applied.

If you are just using bumpy surfaces like the Mold-tech bump surfaces then you shouldn't need a UV app.  Keyshot has a lot of procedural shaders now but if there is a specific model that you are unsure of I am sure the guys here and myself will advice if you need a 3rd party app for a UV solution ...

Martin

br3ttman

I can use procedural textures just fine as shown in the 2 Jersey Can renders below.  However, if I apply a decal or another texture map using UV coordinates, each surface patch will receive a scaled copy of the decal or texture.  In the example below, the camouflage applies across each model just fine, but I don't have precise control over the "US Army" decal if I apply it using UV coordinates.  The image on the left shows how the decal applies to each surface quilt.  I need the ability to precisely place it as in the image on the right and then would like to export it as such for 3D color printing.  Optimally, I'd be able to do this in KeyShot without a 3rd party software.

br3ttman

Having used the procedural textures and UV mapped decals, I tried exporting and reimporting them to see if at least I could realize some success exporting the UV mapped data.  Below is the Jersey Can I exported as .zpr, and the reimported data to the left.  Maybe the exported functionality just doesn't work with NURBS imported data altogether?

br3ttman

Here's some export and reimport testing with the "KeyShot_Bot_for_Print.bip" file provided by Rex:

Export Settings
     Scene Units - Meter
     1st Export - .obj
     2nd Export - .zpr
     3rd Export - .stl

Reimport Results
     All parts reimported with default import settings, "adding" parts to scene
     All parts reimported at 1/40th original export size
     1st - .obj file - reimported with black paint only as the material file associated with the part
     2nd - .zpr file - reimported with all correct color and texture mapping, but as a diffuse material
     3rd - .stl - reimported with correct color and texture mapping, also as a diffuse material, but visibly more glossy.  Gray arms also contain some rainbow dithering miscoloration (sorry don't know how better to describe this) -- (Oh I understand now after a close-up and part rotation, the "miscoloration" is actually the "highlights" mapped onto the part during the export.  Interesting)