2 questions before I purchase Keyshot 6 Pro.

Started by Artcad, August 30, 2016, 11:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artcad

Hello, I'm looking to buy Keyshot 6 pro, but before I do I'd like to ask 2 questions.

- Can I install Keyshot 6 pro on more than 1 device with a single license?

- I am currently using Keyshot as a plugin via Artcam Jewelsmith. Am I eligible for the 'Cad-to-Pro' upgrade option or do I have to buy the software for the full price?

Thanks in advance.

LayC42

guest84672

@Artcad - You can install the software on multiple computers, but only run it on one machine at a time.

Yes, since it sounds like your KeyShot license came with ArtCAM you are eligible for the "CAD to Pro" upgrade.

Artcad

Quote from: thomasteger on August 30, 2016, 12:50:52 PM
@Artcad - You can install the software on multiple computers, but only run it on one machine at a time.
So I can install it on my computer at work and at home, so then I can work with keyshot during the day at work and when I come home I can resume my work on my home computer without any issues. But if I'm at home working in keyshot already, then at work someone can't launch keyshot and make renderings during that same time.

Is this correct?

Artcad

Quote from: LayC42 on August 30, 2016, 11:24:00 AM
Hi.
Does a floating license work for you?
I'm not a big company, so the extra cost for the floating license I'd rather avoid if possible.

guest84672

Yes - the is correct. All you need to do is deactivate the license on one computer before you activate on another. Once you have done this on each computer, deactivation and activation literally become a button push. Make sure though that you have internet connection so KeyShot can communicate with our licensing server.

Speedster

Be great if your server could recognize which computer is running KeyShot, and not have to deactivate and reactivate. SolidWorks does it.  I went to Los Angeles recently for a business meeting and forgot to swap from my BOXX desktop to my laptop.  Had to call my wife and try to explain how to do it.  Successful, but a major and embarrassing pain!
Bill G

fredrik

Hi,
i also have two questions before KS 6 order

does this deactivate/activate work with two platforms, windows at work, osx at home?
is it true that you have to deactivate the license at the office, before continue the work at home?
(that requires to always deactivate when leaving the office.. maybe something that can this be handled thru keyshot cloud)

Chad Holton

Quote from: fredrik on September 21, 2016, 02:15:22 AM
Hi,
i also have two questions before KS 6 order

does this deactivate/activate work with two platforms, windows at work, osx at home?
is it true that you have to deactivate the license at the office, before continue the work at home?
(that requires to always deactivate when leaving the office.. maybe something that can this be handled thru keyshot cloud)

Hello,

Yes and Yes. The activation and deactivation is not handled through the Cloud at this time. Just an internet connection when activating and deactivating is required.

fredrik

thanks for the reply
so no need to deactivate the license in the office everyday before going home?
my home computer can just take over the activation without physically deactivate KS at the office

just making sure!

Chad Holton

Quote from: fredrik on September 21, 2016, 05:13:03 AM
thanks for the reply
so no need to deactivate the license in the office everyday before going home?
my home computer can just take over the activation without physically deactivate KS at the office

just making sure!

You will need to physically deactivate the work machine before activating the home machine and vice versa.

fredrik

thanks for your quick answer

not an optimal solution though, hopefully it will be improved  (like the adobe suite)

Speedster

QuoteYou will need to physically deactivate the work machine before activating the home machine and vice versa.
I REALLY hope that this can be resolved to run on two machines (one at a time), just like Adobe, SolidWorks and most others that allow multiple machines.  Major pain when you leave or go on a trip and forget to transfer the license to the laptop.  I'm sure there is a way to accomplish this!
Bill G

guest84672

We had this discussion before. KeyShot is not SolidWorks or an Adobe product. KeyShot always renders, even if you don't interact with it. If you don't do anything in SolidWorks, then SolidWorks doesn't do anything.

andy.engelkemier

I think the overarching desire here is to move completely away from traditional floating licensing and move the licensing to "the cloud." That is, if I'm understanding everyone correctly.
Thomas is correct, it's not the same since you could just leave a rendering going, then use the other license for other things. Although, Adobe does let you run 2 licenses for yourself at once. But that ability could cause Keyshot to cost more since they are licensing the hdr light studio....I assume, and potentially some other things like translators. Of course, you can't use those things while you aren't using the computer, so it would just a matter of talking them into not changing the price (not always easy).

But I'm sure you all can quickly understand how complex that can be. It's not just flipping a switch to enable the cloud.

But I do wish that the floating license worked using an online server straight from keyshot. Installation would be faster. Ordering new licenses would be faster. And if multiple laptop users are out of the office for several days, they can use licenses without having to have checked out licenses before they left the office, which ties up the license until they check it back in? We don't have every day access to our server also, so hosting flexLM stuff is a real bummer. And that Always conflicts with the other licenses. So if you're already running a few floating licenses using flexlm then you should leave a couple extra days for running back and forth with support trying to figure out how to solve the issues with different software trying to run on the same port.
The more I talk about it, the more an online system looks like the holy grail.