Handling Depth Pass EXR files in GIMP or other Free Post-processor

Started by NormanHadley, August 12, 2015, 07:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NormanHadley

I'm possibly the only person left on Earth who's never used Photoshop because it costs money, right? So I use GIMP 2.8. It's probably not as easy to use as the mighty Photoshop but it serves.

One thing I can't do is incorporate depth via the exr file that Keyshot 5 creates. I've downloaded a Python plugin that purports to offer EXR support but I get this error message.

Any thoughts, anyone? (that don't involve any £££ or $$$)

Chad Holton

I use GIMP as well but haven't messed with EXR file type with it, so I'm not sure. I do have a solution with working with that file type that doesn't involve cash but maybe some learning - try Blender. Their compositing system works great with KeyShot files including EXR.

NormanHadley

Hi Chad

Well, I downloaded and installed Blender but I must be missing something pretty fundamental because it refuses to open any graphical format - JPEG, PNG, EXR - it just keeps saying "File Format is Supported". Forgive me if I'm just being dim - it's still early here...

Chad Holton

Hey Norman,

You will need to use the compositing system in Blender to work with those file types. It's been a while since I messed with it - I'll create a sample for you to check out shortly.

richardfunnell

I hate to suggest anything that has cost involved, but Affinity recently released their Affinity Photo software for both Windows & Mac that fully supports 32bit images. I did a quick test and you have full control over exposure which helps in adjusting those EXR Files.
I just bought it myself for merging images for HDRI creation, the tools are pretty robust and much less expensive than Photoshop.

Here's a link to their site: https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

NormanHadley

Thanks Richard - I'll check that out. Even I, Ebenezer Scrooge, might be able to stretch to £30.  ;)

richardfunnell

Haha good to hear Norman :)

I'm also a big fan of the small software companies that have their sights on the slow movers in the industry!

HaroldL

Thanks for the tip Richard.
I decided to check out AP, now comes the task of learning which options/commands will duplicate those shown on all the tutorials that use PS.
Because PS has such a large following and seems to be the defacto standard, one would wish for a cheat sheet of sorts or a demo that would list/show the corresponding commands and procedures for each photo software, PS to Gimp; to AP; to Paintshop Pro;  to . . . well, you get the idea.