Good black in 2.2 gamma?

Started by Philrider7, May 04, 2011, 07:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philrider7

I have a problem with the suggestion to have the render in 2.2 gamma in realtime, because I render a lot of black plastic accessories and in 2.2 black becomes to gray! I inserted two image for demonstrating my problem (1st is 2.2 and second 1). I tried to change the brightness and other things, but maybe I'm missing something here?

P.S. I am using my spacenavigator in Keyshot and I was wondering if it would be possible to lock twist like it is with the left button on the mouse?

Thank you

Phil

jjeconomaki

I too am really struggling with 2.2 gamma. It is way too hot for most materials and doesn't work at all on polished stainless steel, polished steel or any other shiny surface (totally blown out)  or,  many lighter colored anodized materials (on color corrected monitors). Reducing environment lighting really flattens the 2.2 to almost a worthless exercise.

Based upon the last month of intensive KeyShot use I don't think that a 2.2 gamma start point makes much sense. I am getting really good contrast on said materials around 1.4 gamma. Also, there is no need to adjust .jpg textures to .4545 gamma prior at this setting.

I am not sure about this 2.2 start and would really be interested in the experience of others. Or, as usually is the case--am I doing something wrong?

--John

Speedster

I've become a big fan of the 2.2 Realtime gamma setting ever since Jeff demonstrated it, and start all new projects at 2.2,  leaving the Environment Gamma at 1.0.  When I revisit older projects, my own or my client's, I immediately adjust to 2.2 to see the effect.

That said, I often have to dial RT Gamma back a bit, but never below 1.8.  Yes, it will affect many materials, especially metals and your customs.  But, it's worth the tweaking time as the resulting renders are stunning and hyper-real.  Most important is the impact 2.2 (or down to 1.8) has on transparent materials, and it's critical when two transparent surfaces are adjacent, like tubing over a barb or fitting.

Don't forget that the Gamma and Brightness settings are highly dependent on your HDR.  What works for one may not work for another.  Many of my favorite HDR's are quite hot, so I do have to tweak things a bit.  Also, many materials have a jpeg texture and/or bump, so you have to carefully adjust the "intensity" slider. I start with the chosen material, then tweak it and save to the library as, for example, "BurntOrange2.2" for reuse later.

KeyShot is a balancing (juggling?) act- keep playing with 1.8 to 2.2- it's worth the effort!

Bill G
www.GouldStudios.com