Randomized Material / Texture Mapping

Started by aaron f, January 04, 2018, 01:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaron f

Is there a plugin or process for randomizing texture mapping locations?

For example in the attached image, the stacked stone elements in the model are all made of the same material, however I would like the mapping location of the texture to be random so each stone piece appears individual/unique. This would also be useful for say a wood plank floor, where each plank is made of the same wood but wood grain locations would varry... or a timber framed structure, etc. see attached images.

Will Gibbons

I've been looking for an easy way to do this myself. Example: random tiles, planks of wood etc. I don't think what you're asking for exists. Hopefully somebody here can prove me wrong. What I tend to do is break each piece into a new part, then manually randomize the mapping adding some rotation or translation to each piece.

aaron f

Yeah.. that's exactly what I end up doing.. and it just takes too long!!! I really hope someone has developed a plugin or a script!!

mattjgerard

Mentioning plugins, there is a plugin area in the preferences, but what is that exactly used for? All the plugins on the KS website are for other apps, is there and SDK for developing plugins for use directly inside KS?

hnax

I have been looking for the same for a long time. I am repeating a concrete texture and looking to randomized it. Is this a feature that we can ask for in the next version? How hard is to script it?

aaron f

@hnax I was just at KeyShot RenderWorld (incredible event by the way)... I had the pleasure of speaking to Will Gibbons in person about this issue and I asked the same question of multiple people at KeyShot. In short the answer seems to be - you must manually randomize your material locations/translations. They have talked about implementing this into KeyShot but as of now it has not been added. The more people who ask for it, however would hopefully mean we have a better chance of having it included in future versions. So reach out to tech support and post about it as a feature request in the forums and it might become a reality.

This would be a huge add for us, as we work in the architectural industry and we are commonly working with things like stone tile floors, wood floors, stacked wood features, etc.

mattjgerard

Not possible  as of right now to randomize textures like you are looking for. In the concrete example, its more of a tiliing and scale of model/texture issue. Randomizing the texture wouldn't really help that, you will still see a pattern. Need a different texture that covers a larger area. I have this same problem when trying to cover warehouse floors at wide angles when most of the textures are only images of smaller floor areas.

I was at renderworld as well, and after bombarding the forums for the better part of 1.5 years,  and talking to Henrik directly after his keynote, Luxion is one of the most responsive software companies I've dealt with . They specifically state to tell them what we want and they will prioritize it into the development plan. And they have, I've dealt with the Cinema 4D plug in developer and had some tweaks that were implemented. Many of the new features of KS8 that are on the way are requests from users. So, make some noise, talk to tech support, post on the wishlist and hope for the best!

INNEO_MWo

(arg - I have to write this a second time cause I don't noticed the file sizes and run into the limitation)
So sorry for the short explanations!

That question (and I recognized the old post over a year ago) is still interesting!

So two small solutions came up.

1. solution "INNEO example - concrete with pattern and scattering" (all details in the attached KSP):
- add geometry / plane and apply a concrete texture with UV mapping
- pattern the group (10 by 10 instances in this example) with a smaller space then the plane size, so they can intersect each other
  - use the scattering option with values, without a recognizable gap between the "tiles"
- if you hide the border group you'll see the "scattered" edges

That setup is very quick and handy, but would not work for the wood example since we've got no cut material.

2. solution "INNEO expample - tiled floor texture on shaped ground" ( https://we.tl/kmMkCfLNTS - 88 MB | online till May 31 th)
That solution includes Photoshop!
- create a huge PS document (3000 by 3000 px in my case) and activate a grid (10%)
- add a floor texture in a small size (a bit larger then a grid tile) on the left bottom corner
- duplicate the layer 9 times and shift the last layer to the upper left corner
  - use alignment in vertical direction for all 10 floor layer for a "pattern"

- (I don't know the correct option name, 'cause of the German UI I'm using)
- than group the 10 layer and repeat the last steps
  - shift the last group to the right border and align all groups in horizontal direction
  - (you'll will see all layer in the PSD of the KSP)
- add all in a group and convert this as a smart object
- use the tile filter with a spacing that won't produce any gaps between the "tiles"
- to minimize the tile effect, add the original floor texture with an overall size (cover all "tiles") and shift that layer below the group
- blend the group (e.g. light color) and tweak the underlying texture with a gradient curve
- save this as a PSD

- in KeyShot use the tri-planar mapping with that huge PSD in Y direction and the original floor texture in Y and Z (and tweak the sizes til they match the top floor tiles)

This solution would work for the curtain / wall like part in the first post, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe the scattering option of the pattern feature can be adapted to the repeat texture option?!?

Hope that helps to find the right track.

Cheers
Marco

INNEO_MWo

Does anyone know a place where I can store a 88 MB KSP file? I tried to add this into a ZIP archive and split it into two parts to attache them in several posts. But that doesn't work (and failed 3 times). And I don't want to use my private google drive and have no own cloud solution.

Maybe someone is pleased to download the WeTransfer file and share the stored file for everybody?!

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Marco

hnax

Quote from: MWo on May 24, 2018, 02:16:50 PM
Does anyone know a place where I can store a 88 MB KSP file? I tried to add this into a ZIP archive and split it into two parts to attache them in several posts. But that doesn't work (and failed 3 times). And I don't want to use my private google drive and have no own cloud solution.

Maybe someone is pleased to download the WeTransfer file and share the stored file for everybody?!

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Marco

That's great!

downloadable https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YsM06tqPeYg7qi1huc8cMp1m5ARNJkl_

INNEO_MWo

And here's a solution for the wood texture thing. (works only since KeyShot 7)
Hope it would help to improve your renders.

Thanks to David Merz the third for the hint.

Cheers
Marco