2018 Renderworld Wrapup

Started by mattjgerard, May 22, 2018, 11:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

I just wanted to drop a note of thanks to everyone that helped put on the show this past couple of days. Some truly amazing artists, designers, workflow nerds and of course the developers that make all this black magic happen behind the curtain.

It was such a fantastic thing to be able to shake the hands of all the people that have been such a help on this forum for the past year and a half as I've went from knowing zero about Keyshot to where I am now, being able to put out respectable images on a regular basis, although my measure of where my work sits on the range of what people are doing with KS has been reset after seeing some of the amazing stuff that was shown!

Great speakers, great seminars, lots of notes taken and ideas hatched. The nice thing is that it wasn't all about cranking out more images, they talked about life, choices, paths and destinations. Its amazing that everyone that was there was just as willing to talk to someone like me, who isn't doing billboards for national agencies and billion dollar clients, or buying dozens of licenses of Keyshot as they were to the larger (and more impressive!) users. Everyone from Will, Dries, Esben and Jeff Hoefer to David M and Benny, Rex and Justin from Fitbit. Just a great group of people that were excited to talk to anybody.

And of course hearing about all the new goodies coming in KS8!!!

So, well done everyone, and a shout out to my boss for sending me :)

Cheers! and hope to be back next year!

Matt

Weezer

Will the people who couldn't make it to the event be getting a Keyshot 8 preview?

Weezer

DriesV

It was really nice to meet you too, Matt. As you put it, always great to put a face to a name. :)

Dries

Furniture_Guy

Mr. Gerard,

I'm sorry I missed you at RenderWorld, maybe next time. I do believe you did sit across the center aisle from me in Dries' first workshop but I couldn't be sure. I'm the guy that asked the question about the Toon material to Titanium fade image using a gradient as an opacity mask in the Material Graph...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

mattjgerard

Quote from: Furniture_Guy on May 24, 2018, 07:49:33 AM
Mr. Gerard,

I'm sorry I missed you at RenderWorld, maybe next time. I do believe you did sit across the center aisle from me in Dries' first workshop but I couldn't be sure. I'm the guy that asked the question about the Toon material to Titanium fade image using a gradient as an opacity mask in the Material Graph...

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

Oh you were THAT guy!   

Just kidding :) I was trying to keep everyone I met straight and I should have been taking notes about who I met. Maybe next time we should pre-plan a group of who is who during the breaks. That would have been helpful. I have a hard time breaking into witty conversation with strangers, so I know I could have made more connections, but hey, I was overwhelmed a bit. Sucks being an introvert sometimes!

I did sit next to Jeff from Google during the MNML keynote, talked to him a little bit. And met and talked to Esben quite a bit. And I met some people from a former clients company that I had tried to sell Keyshot jobs to a couple years ago as a freelancer, that was a fun conversation!

Furniture_Guy

LMAO! Yeah, THAT guy...

I bet the conversation with the former clients was very interesting and maybe even a little satisfying.

Being an introvert is definitely a two edged sword. Would you have devoted so much time and energy to your extensive KeyShot skills if you were not one?

He who knows others is wise.
He who knows himself is enlightened.

Tao te Ching

Good luck in all your endeavors.

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

DMerz III

:) thanks for the kind words, I have to ditto a lot of what you said in your post. It was my second time going to RW, and so I knew how awesome the crop of people could be, but this year was totally a surprise with the immense range of speakers & workshops.

It was a pleasure to finally meet you in person! And some of the others as well, I got such a rush from interacting with you all and getting fresh perspectives on how to approach KS. This energizes me to keep pushing myself to make it to the next one!

Esben Oxholm

You too, Matt. Nice meeting you.
The presentations this year were as you say really good and super inspiring.

Perry, did we miss each other?

Furniture_Guy

Esben,

Sadly yes. I almost approached you in the first day lunch line ( you're hard to miss being so tall ) but you began speaking to other people and I didn't want to interrupt. Being one of the official celebrities there, I knew your time would be very valuable. I did manage to ask you a question in your first workshop about using only Lumens for lights in a scene...

Maybe next year.

Thanks for all your help and insights. Your 'How to blend box mapping seams in KeyShot 7' has been particularly helpful to me!

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Furniture_Guy on May 27, 2018, 12:21:21 PM
Esben,

Sadly yes. I almost approached you in the first day lunch line ( you're hard to miss being so tall ) but you began speaking to other people and I didn't want to interrupt. Being one of the official celebrities there, I knew your time would be very valuable. I did manage to ask you a question in your first workshop about using only Lumens for lights in a scene...

Maybe next year.

Thanks for all your help and insights. Your 'How to blend box mapping seams in KeyShot 7' has been particularly helpful to me!

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

All right, to bad - but I appreciate your courtesy.
Oh, yeah, I remember that question! Thanks for asking.
Next year definitely :)

mattjgerard

And that is the one thing that really surprised me  (but shouldn't have) about everyone there, is how super approachable everyone was. I fell into so many conversations with people before we introduced who we were, and here I am a small time dude just hacking out product images as fast as I can, and I'm talking to the guy that reworks all the dashboards for almost every GM and Toyota vehicle out there, or the Fitbit people doing world class marketing assets seen by millions, or  Esben, Dries, Soren, everyone. No one had an attitude, no superiority complexes, no egos, it was so refreshing.

And yeah, I'll be following up with my former clients just to see how things are going. Might even mock up something and send it to them, still have some of their models :) In fact here is one of the first tries at placing a product in a real world environment. At least I got the shadow direction right :)