Main Menu

Randomized Texture Mapping

Started by hnax, May 24, 2018, 08:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hnax

related topic https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=20605.0

The product lack a way of repeating a texture pattern randomly. This is a very common problem when tiling the same texture over a big surface. Folks have been asking for this for a while. It's almost a need in every architecture/interior design rendering. Keyshot should put this high on their new features list ask if they are planning to expand their audience from the product rendering community into the architecture/interior design community.

aaron f

scanner

DMerz III

While I think having a "random" node in the material editor for things like this would be cool, there are some things you can do right now in 7 that will help alleviate this problem.

Using several labels that are mapped differently and compiling them with a "color composite" node will start to break up the patterning you see.

Also, you can use procedural textures such as the noise in Keyshot to break up the patterning as well, lots of current tools already in keyshot at your disposal.

INNEO_MWo

Quote from: DMerz III on May 26, 2018, 10:08:41 AM
While I think having a "random" node in the material editor for things like this would be cool, there are some things you can do right now in 7 that will help alleviate this problem.

Using several labels that are mapped differently and compiling them with a "color composite" node will start to break up the patterning you see.

Also, you can use procedural textures such as the noise in Keyshot to break up the patterning as well, lots of current tools already in keyshot at your disposal.

David - you're a genius - thank you for the hint.

Related to this thread (https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=20605.0) I attached a solution with a mesh texture node (procedural) to randomize a wood texture (file).

Cheers
Marco

DMerz III

Quote from: MWo on May 27, 2018, 10:25:23 AM

David - you're a genius - thank you for the hint.

Related to this thread (https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=20605.0) I attached a solution with a mesh texture node (procedural) to randomize a wood texture (file).

Haha! Thanks, you're too kind. That is a great breakdown you did, thanks for taking the time to go through that, I am always so quick to write out what I think a solution might be, but do very little to actually demonstrate the solution, so it is nice that you took the time to do so; very helpful for others!

Furniture_Guy

David - Damn, you are a genius. I never thought of that...

Many, many thanks!

Perry (Furniture_Guy)

soren

Thank you for your input for this. We have seen this request before and it could definitely make sense (no promises on when).

Adding to David's suggestion there is a little-known feature in KeyShot 7 that can help as well. The mesh-node can be used to control the UV mapping of a texture map. By using jitter, distortion and the color composite node with alpha maps, I think you can break up repetitions to some extent. It is not as powerful as a fully randomized per-part texture map node, but it may help you in certain cases.

I am sure a more artistic person than myself can get more out of it :).

/Søren

DMerz III

:) NICE.

Thanks Soren, that is a breakdown.