Welding - With textures & Tutorial

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, August 09, 2018, 05:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

Hi guys,

So I've been in the ring a few times here trying to explain local UV mapping from CAD software, and I realized that it's not that simple to explain this in terms of written format. That's why I've decided to, for once, give back to the community and provide all of you interested a weld texture pack (4 actually) for free, as well as a walkthrough on how to use them.

To get a hold of these textures, visit the following link: https://gumroad.com/l/CADweld and type in weldme in the discount code to download it for free. This includes two .ksp's and 4 texture packs. I planned to put 0$ on this for gumroad, but there was suddenly a file size limit at 25mb on free products, so I had to do this workaround instead. But, it's still free, just remember to use that discount code! :) Oh, and let me know if you guys manage to use any of the textures. Would be great to see!

Anyway, the tutorial can be found here:
https://youtu.be/LpDFg1rh_nE

Below you'll find some work where I've used the different textues, all modeled in NX with no sculpting.

Cheers.

bdesign

This is outstanding, Magnus. A very professionally done, clear, and concise video tutorial. I've always been a big proponent of modeling with "flow" in mind. You explained it perfectly. The renders are beautiful, as always. Very kind of you. Thanks very much :)

Cheers,
Eric

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: bdesign on August 09, 2018, 06:49:46 AM
This is outstanding, Magnus. A very professionally done, clear, and concise video tutorial. I've always been a big proponent of modeling with "flow" in mind. You explained it perfectly. The renders are beautiful, as always. Very kind of you. Thanks very much :)
And a big thanks to you too Eric! I'm happy to hear that you think so :)

Finema

beautifull ! and thanks for the tutorial  ;)

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Finema on August 09, 2018, 07:46:18 AM
beautifull ! and thanks for the tutorial  ;)
Thank you! You're quite welcome. Hope you find it useful :)

scanner

Many thanks Magnus! This tutorial and resources pack is very useful.

Josh3D

So good, Magnus! Thanks for sharing. Will be posting this on the blog!

Will Gibbons

Killer! Hey Magnus, mind if I ask if you used specular or only roughness maps on the tubing of the first two hero shots? I love the look.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: scanner on August 10, 2018, 06:31:41 AM
Many thanks Magnus! This tutorial and resources pack is very useful.
Cheers! Glad to hear it!

Quote from: Josh Mings on August 10, 2018, 08:56:37 AM
So good, Magnus! Thanks for sharing. Will be posting this on the blog!
Awesome Josh! Thank you :)

Quote from: Will Gibbons on August 10, 2018, 01:04:10 PM
Killer! Hey Magnus, mind if I ask if you used specular or only roughness maps on the tubing of the first two hero shots? I love the look.
Thank you Will! Hm.. It's a metal with roughness only (and a teeny tiny bump). As far as I know there's no specular on metals, right?

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on August 10, 2018, 01:25:51 PM
Quote from: Will Gibbons on August 10, 2018, 01:04:10 PM
Thank you Will! Hm.. It's a metal with roughness only (and a teeny tiny bump). As far as I know there's no specular on metals, right?

Yep! Wasn't entirely sure. But now that you point that out, of course, you're right.

Hossein Alfideh

Fantastic approach dude!I've been waiting to see the tutorial and high res images for so long!Bravo!

INNEO_MWo

Great and very helpful tutorial Magnus!

Have to give this a try with creo parametric files. (if I find some time to play)

Thanks a lot!

Cheers
Marco

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Hossein Alfideh on August 13, 2018, 02:36:26 AM
Fantastic approach dude!I've been waiting to see the tutorial and high res images for so long!Bravo!
Cheers Hossein! I'm so happy you liked it!

Quote from: MWo on August 13, 2018, 04:46:49 AM
Great and very helpful tutorial Magnus!

Have to give this a try with creo parametric files. (if I find some time to play)

Thanks a lot!
Awesome! You're quite welcome. Let me know if you manage :) And thanks for your kind words!

Eric Summers

Nicely done! That manifold looks so nice!

I use SolidWorks and was able to follow along with your tutorial pretty well. I did a little bit of testing of local UVs and had some success. I had issues at first, but once I turned on Render NURBS the UV mapping type worked as expected. Definitely have to be very conscious about how you model things to get a continuous face or surface. I never thought I could do this kind of UV mapping in SolidWorks. Thanks a lot Magnus!

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: Eric Summers on August 13, 2018, 09:45:59 AM
Nicely done! That manifold looks so nice!

I use SolidWorks and was able to follow along with your tutorial pretty well. I did a little bit of testing of local UVs and had some success. I had issues at first, but once I turned on Render NURBS the UV mapping type worked as expected. Definitely have to be very conscious about how you model things to get a continuous face or surface. I never thought I could do this kind of UV mapping in SolidWorks. Thanks a lot Magnus!
Cheers Eric! I appreciate it :)

I also greatly appreciate your feedback. Awesome that it works with SolidWorks as well, although it's strange that it only works in NURBS render mode for you, as it works in regular mode for me. Another thing that's strange is that I couldn't get it to work if I used the NX plugin to export it to KeyShot, but it works like a charm if I boot KeyShot as usual and import the necessary geometry.  Did you use the SolidWorks plugin for export/import?