Would keyshot do this?

Started by PeterSwift, August 29, 2018, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterSwift

I just saw this post and was wondering what Keyshot lacks in features to make a rendering like this. I dont really do interior just tried it but I want to explore it more.
Of course it mostly depends on your experience and talent in lightning and rendering but curious what your thoughts are on it :)
Tips on interior rendering tutorials for keyshot by the way? ;)
https://www.behance.net/gallery/64541531/Photorealism-Lemon-Set

mattjgerard

Lets see-

Proper Glass Materials
Caustics
Subsurface scattering
Bubbles (KS 8)
Liquid/Container Interface (KS8)
Fruit models (Esben)
Displacement (KS8)
Labels for the imperfections
Roughness mapping

Yep, I'm pretty sure KS could do this. There are some artists on here that have other scenes that match the realism here already, so I don't doubt it could be done. You hit the nail though when you mention lighting. That's the item that is still elusive to me, realistic lighting.

DriesV

Great images, for sure.
Three things pop out as being a bit off though:

• Cut lemons look too watery. (I am not talking about the lemon slices in the water carafe. :) )
  • The dispersion in the glass seems too aggressive.
  • Lack of caustics.

I do believe this level of realism can be achieved in KeyShot. I see no reason why it should not be possible.

Dries

MisterNeil

Hello,

I agree, the lemon set image above is very impressive because of it's extreme photorealistic details. I highly recommend for others to review Corona's gallery: https://corona-renderer.com/gallery. Their 3D renderings, including cars and interiors, are stunning to the point you begin to ask if these images were captured with a DSLR instead.

I am a long time KeyShot user (since 2009) and look forward to working with the upcoming version 8. However, I too wonder if KeyShot can equal the rendering realism from Corona. It would be great if there were side by side comparison renderings of a scene or product from both KeyShot and Corona. If such a comparison already exists, then I would appreciate it if someone could share the link and/or images.

Neil

TGS808

Quote from: MisterNeil on August 30, 2018, 07:10:46 AM
Hello,

I agree, the lemon set image above is very impressive because of it's extreme photorealistic details. I highly recommend for others to review Corona's gallery: https://corona-renderer.com/gallery. Their 3D renderings, including cars and interiors, are stunning to the point you begin to ask if these images were captured with a DSLR instead.

I am a long time KeyShot user (since 2009) and look forward to working with the upcoming version 8. However, I too wonder if KeyShot can equal the rendering realism from Corona. It would be great if there were side by side comparison renderings of a scene or product from both KeyShot and Corona. If such a comparison already exists, then I would appreciate it if someone could share the link and/or images.

Neil

To be perfectly honest, I don't see much there that is any more impressive than the works featured in the gallery on the KeyShot website. To suggest that one is any better than the other seems to really be picking nits. It's said that a poor craftsman blames his tools. Whenever I see one of these "can KeyShot do this" posts (unless it's zeroing in on a very specific feature that KeyShot just doesn't have yet) the only response that I feel is valid is: Yes, KeyShot can do it. Can you do it with KeyShot? A simple example: Someone who knows the material graph inside and out is going to get far better results than someone who doesn't. If you put in time, practice will get you there. Or at least closer. Of course the bottom line is, now matter how good the tool/software is, not all of our skills are equal.

DriesV

The new Image Styles with photographic controls for tone mapping in KeyShot 8 will help a great deal in realizing this "photorealism". ;)

Dries

RRIS

Don't forget about dispersion.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: RRIS on August 31, 2018, 06:47:38 AM
Don't forget about dispersion.

KeyShot is capable of dispersion (have to use the correct material type) and as Dries pointed out, I think it's more exaggerated here than it should be. The lack of caustics is distracting in my mind though.

Matt.Kinsington

Quote from: TGS808 on August 30, 2018, 10:01:46 AM

To be perfectly honest, I don't see much there that is any more impressive than the works featured in the gallery on the KeyShot website. To suggest that one is any better than the other seems to really be picking nits.

I agree with MisterNiel.  When I look at the galleries of Corona and Vray, I see an overall general slightly more realistic look than the KeyShot gallery. 

Same as how when looking at the KeyShot gallery, I saw an overall generally better look than the SW Visualize one.  Actually, that difference was much greater  ;)

KeyShot does incredible, amazing images.  But the galleries so far have been maybe 10% less "fully real looking" than Cornoa or Vray.  (To my very picky eyes).

TGS808

Quote from: Matt.Kinsington on October 05, 2018, 02:20:58 PM
(To my very picky eyes).

As I said, at this level, it's picking nits. Any differences are negligible at best.

mattjgerard

was browsing grabcad the other day looking for t-nuts and just started downloading stuff. Not sure anything will come of it, but hey its fun to try :)

CoalHedgehog

Quote from: Matt.Kinsington on October 05, 2018, 02:20:58 PM
Quote from: TGS808 on August 30, 2018, 10:01:46 AM

To be perfectly honest, I don't see much there that is any more impressive than the works featured in the gallery on the KeyShot website. To suggest that one is any better than the other seems to really be picking nits.

I agree with MisterNiel.  When I look at the galleries of Corona and Vray, I see an overall general slightly more realistic look than the KeyShot gallery. 

Same as how when looking at the KeyShot gallery, I saw an overall generally better look than the SW Visualize one.  Actually, that difference was much greater  ;)

KeyShot does incredible, amazing images.  But the galleries so far have been maybe 10% less "fully real looking" than Cornoa or Vray.  (To my very picky eyes).

I agree, but, as someone who is more an Engineer than artist, I don't want to sacrifice Keyshot's ease of use to get that 10%.