C4D R20 demo & Keyshot 6

Started by tomsoel, September 06, 2018, 07:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomsoel

Hi !
I'm trying to install keyshot 6 plugin on c4d R20 demo, but the keyshot menu doesn't appear when running C4D demo. I had try this plugin with R19 demo with success.
Any idea ?
Thx a lot !

mattjgerard

Wonder if they need to update the plugin for R20. I just installed R20 and haven't had the time to migrate all my layouts, plugins, scripts and junk yet.

DougRattmann

Please make a bridge between C4D R20 and Keyshot 7
Or do we need to wait for Keyshot 8?

tomsoel

...and please don't forget Keyshot 6 users :(
R20 to KS6 would be fine !

mattjgerard

I am not sure that the updated plugin would be backward compatible with Keyshot versions. The plugin operates completely within the host program, Cinema in this case, so it actually doesn't interact with KS other than writing out the file. But if the plugin is writing out files that restrict the KS version, that would be bad. I don't have KS6 on my machine anymore otherwise I could try it. But would be great if they could write it as a "versionless" KS file so that there are no backwards compatibility issues. Might be something to shoot an email to support@luxion.com about.

Weezer

Maxon has stated that no existing plugins – literally none at all – will work in R20 without a rewrite. And not just a recompile, either, because R20 uses completely new APIs. I use the C4D to Keyshot bridge all the time, so  I do hope we'll see an R20-compatible plugin sooner rather than later!

tomsoel

Here's Luxion answer:

"Hello,
Thank you for contacting Luxion Support.
I see that we have an issue in our system regarding R20. Sadly however, it seems that this is not something that has been worked on yet, and so it likely will not be able for a KeyShot 8 release.
Regarding whether it will be supported by KeyShot 6, It will likely not be.
Best Regards,
"

mattjgerard

In the past after the initial roll out of the new version of KS they will go back and follow up with updated plugins. This was the case for KS7, the plugin update didn't come for a couple months after 7 was released. Hope its not too long, hearing that it has to be completely re-written. That has to be frustrating for Luxion. All that worked on past versions wiped out. Was really looking forward to using R20 for importing cad files directly for building my scenes, guess I'll have to wait. unless R19 can open R20 files, which I doubt and haven't tested yet.

tomsoel

"Was really looking forward to using R20 for importing cad files directly for building my scenes"
Yes I do to. ..but I can not imagine paying for a c4d release + ks8 one :(

Weezer

While I know these plugins are provided free of charge, it's not like they didn't know R20 was coming. Maxon even provided specific SDK support for developers moving their code over. Anyway, once KS8 is out I hope the plugin comes soon because if ever there was a release that suited Keyshot (and vice versa) it's R20! What with the CAD import and the OpenVDB stuff, plus displacement and volume rendering, it's a match made in heaven. I'm very much looking forward to it.

mattjgerard

Exactly. I just started 3 new projects that I probably should be sticking to R19 in, but being able to drag STL files directly into Cinema is just plain fantastic. So, I'll export them as FBX or something to get them into Keyshot. I started to play with the Volume Modeler but wasn't able to get too far into it before deadlines started to creep in again. I do think they outsource the plugin stuff to a certain extent, so I am going to dig back in my email and see if I can find who I was talking to about the last round of changes in the plugin and see where it is at.

m0dm0d

Hi all, fear not... The Keyshot team just need to get in touch with Insydium here... (c4dbridge[at]insydium.com)

The short and sweet:
Insydium have created a new bridge plugin for R20 (to make their own x-particles plugin work)... that can apparently load plugins from R14 to R19, enabling them to work in R20 (so I think we're in luck and any Keyshot 6 users will be more than covered if this is the case).

Source info:
https://insydium.ltd/news/latest-news/r20-compatible-x-particles-public-release-1st-november-2018/

mattjgerard

I did hear back from my inquiry to Luxion, they are testing now with a couple of kinks to work out. Turns out that if the plugins were written in C++ they are fine, and even most Python scripts are ok, they just need a recompile. Since COFFEE environment in Cinema is no longer supported, those are all gone and have to do a complete rewrite, but very few plugins were written there.

Most major vendors are completing their rewrites fairly quickly. Greyscalegorilla updated all theirs, with the exception of Signal, and Nitroman's are all C++ so most of those already work. the excellent CV-Pack from Cineversity is good to go too.

I just got the email that X-particles is good to go, but too bad it leaves my license of version 3.5 in the dark. I can't justify to upgrade it as i don't use it for my current job, but is my favorite plugin to use. So much fun. I hope they share their bridge tech for other developers, that would be great.

tomsoel

Quote from: m0dm0d on September 14, 2018, 12:11:59 PM
Hi all, fear not... The Keyshot team just need to get in touch with Insydium here... (c4dbridge[at]insydium.com)

The short and sweet:
Insydium have created a new bridge plugin for R20 (to make their own x-particles plugin work)... that can apparently load plugins from R14 to R19, enabling them to work in R20 (so I think we're in luck and any Keyshot 6 users will be more than covered if this is the case).

Source info:
https://insydium.ltd/news/latest-news/r20-compatible-x-particles-public-release-1st-november-2018/

Thanks for sharing this news!

Weezer

Any news on the R20 plugin? R19 to KS8 is a bit kludgy/crashy.