Displacement on bottle - Keyshot 8.1

Started by Finema, December 07, 2018, 07:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finema

Hi,
I use Displace geometry node on a solid bottle model.
I would like the displacement to apply only to the outside of the model and not to the inside.
I want to keep this model solid because it will have to contain liquid.
I join a test bip file.
Thanks in advance.

Finema

as you can see in the attachment files  > outside displacement is ok but the inside is also displace and i don't want that  :)

Will Gibbons

To only affect the outside, you need to either mask out the inner surface which could be done with occlusion. The better solution is probably to separate the inner surface. Either do this in a 3D application or use KeyShot's Geometry Editor to do this.

bdesign

Hi Philippe-

As Will states, you need to mask the inner surface of the glass. I as well thought perhaps an Occlusion node would work; it did not produce desirable results. Splitting the inner and outer surfaces didn't work correctly with the nested dielectrics. So...I took your bottle model into Rhino, rebuilt it as NURBs geometry, and applied UV mapping to it. I then took a UV snapshot into PS and created a mask, with white covering the outside UVs and black covering the inside and top lip UVs. I plugged your existing Color Composite into the Source of an additional one, using the UV mask (mapping type UV) as Source Alpha, and plugged the new CC node into the Displace node. This gave the desired results with both the displacement and nested dielectrics.

Cheers,
Eric

Finema

Awesome Eric !!!!!! :D It's perfect !
It's really useful in my work on design bottles and decanters.
ps : i use MoI 3D rather than Rhino but the process is the same.
Thanks again for this. You are great !! 8)

Finema

displacement VS emboss pattern

bdesign

Quote from: Finema on December 07, 2018, 10:32:21 PM
Awesome Eric !!!!!! :D It's perfect !
It's really useful in my work on design bottles and decanters.
ps : i use MoI 3D rather than Rhino but the process is the same.
Thanks again for this. You are great !! 8)

Thank you, Philippe! I'm happy to know that it is helpful. Your render looks awesome :)

Cheers,
Eric

Will Gibbons