Nodes of possibilites

Started by jBogh, May 13, 2015, 12:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jBogh

Hey guys here's a test I setup last night using the Occlusion Procedural as well as the Color Composite Node.
This shows a red occlusion being added and how each blending mode in the Color Composite Node effects the overall look of a single material.
No changes to the lighting or material other than blend modes.

I invite everyone else to post screenshots here of their unique materials and how they were made using the Material Graph as well.
Lets share the knowledge! I have a ton of ideas for materials but I'm such a noob with node workflows that its certainly taking a lot of experimenting.
It's easy to see how this addition alone changes everything :)

BlindOne WIP:

Esben Oxholm

That is very cool.
Thanks for sharing! I have to play a lot more with the material graph.

Speedster

Wow!  It's becoming obvious that Material Graph is a real game changer, not only for KeyShot, but for CGI in general.  Can hardly wait to start playing with it!  Interesting how similar the concept is to Filter Forge and most eCAD circuit design apps, where it is a simple (I hope) linking of nodes.

Going to be some interesting webinars coming up, I'll bet!

Bill G

guest84672

Rex

jBogh

Thanks guys!

I'm loving the newly granted material powers!
I've been questing after something specific for the last few nights and finally kind of figured it out.
Emissive Curvature Glow from cracks in a surface. All from one material and one object.
(Funny enough I just saw Andy Jones asking about something very similar if I understand him right)

It's not a perfect result and my settings still need some adjusting but I've got it pretty close to where I can dial in a cool glow pass based on an objects curvature or "cavity masking" for the ZBrushers out there.
I'm not quite sure why it picks up little glowing pixels along some edges. Some of them do have dings and imperfect edges so I assume that's the curvature map picking up on details I don't want.
But the simpler cube with only one side of cracks still has them along the edges that weren't sculpted on so its a bit curious.
I set the Curvature cutoff to be high (500-2000) and the radius to be low (.05) in order to avoid blowing out the cracks with glow.
Which trimmed down a lot of the noise/glow chatter that appeared on the flat surfaces where I didn't want it.
Not sure if that was the right way to go about it but I'm finding it hard to balance getting a bright enough glow where I want it, without sacrificing the readability of the cracks.

I find the Emissive material to be a fickle beast. And its kind of a love hate relationship because I usually find myself fighting little blown out pixels where I don't want them.
That being said I'm impressed I can get these kinds of results all through a single material now, using procedurals and labels! Very cool!
The possibilities are wide open for material blends based on the Curvature of a model. This was just one I've been thinking about for some time now.
Also I realized this thread might be better suited for the Beta Discussions section so feel free to move it :)

soren

The reason you get pixels along the edges of the cube, is that there is a high curvature at 90 degree edges. Since the surface is not smooth at the edges the curvature procedural cannot reliably detect this very high curvature which is the reason you only get some of the pixels highlighted along the edges.

I have added to my to do list to see if I can improve this behaviour.

TpwUK

I thought this was a welding issue - Does KeyShot auto weld or does it leave that to the 3rd party modelling app. Which then beggars the question should welding vertices on edges be an import option for poly models ?

Martin

jBogh

Ah that makes total sense! Thanks Soren!
Hey Martin, shouldn't be a welding issue with this model. As its a solid cube from ZBrush.
But I get what you mean.