Shut down after render complete?

Started by DaveC, June 01, 2011, 09:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveC

Now I don't know if this had it and I can't check as my demo has expired.

But when I did use it I whipped up a huge file from my CAD package.  With all of the emmissive things etc it was slooooooooooooooooow.  This wasn't the fault of the software but the fault of me testing what the app could do.

Since it rendered overnight and when I awoke it was still rendering, it had probably an hour to go so I just shut it off.  I didn't want to leave the computer on all day when I wasn't there. Since the image was watermarked anyway I didn't lose a masterpiece, but it made me think of an idea.

Could there be an option added "shut down PC after render complete"?   If you select this option it would ask you if you want to save the scene first, and if you are sure etc. (so when it shuts down you wouldn't lose unsaved work), then start rendering.   Then after the rendering was done a window would pop up and say "computer will shutdown in 2 minutes"  so in case you are there, forgot about it, and want to abort shutdown you could.  This option would be selected at render every time and wouldn't stick (so you wouldn't accidentally leave it on).

With this I could have left the computer on the extra hour and have it shut off when done.  This would also be helpful for overnight rendering where it finishes at 3:00 am.  It would save juice but the main thing, wear on your computer.

br3ttman

I'll second that! ;D. I've often got up during the night to shut down my machine after some longer renders.

Admin

You can set the idle time after which KeyShot will sleep under preferences. If this is 100 seconds then KeyShot will goto sleep automatically 100 seconds after the render is complete.

DaveC

Quote from: Admin on June 02, 2011, 12:12:49 AM
You can set the idle time after which KeyShot will sleep under preferences. If this is 100 seconds then KeyShot will goto sleep automatically 100 seconds after the render is complete.

But the computer stays on though right?

I was suggesting that is shuts down completely.   

o-lab

It is great to know that there is an option to make Keyshot go sleep when rendering is complete.

For me, what would be nice is to maintain the "Pause" status when rendering is complete.
I often start rendering while the main window is in "Pause" status, but it always releases pause function automatically when rendering is done.
I also often run multiple rendering with multiple keyshot windows open, so I do not want to have some keyshot windows suck up CPU resources while some other windows are still rendering.
(And of course, it is not good to waste energy unnecessarily using CPUs when not needed!)

I wish there will be a fix on this soon!