Main Menu

Idiocracy Pt.2

Started by DMerz III, October 26, 2017, 07:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMerz III

:) Inspired by others on here who kept going even after the competition ended, I wanted to share more from my Materials Competition entry.
(https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=20167.0)

Without a deadline, I was able to let this render much longer and really let the DOF go to town! My favorite part about my scene was modeling/texturing and shading the faucet, so I wanted to do a closeup. Hope you guys enjoy it! The competition was incredibly fun and there were so many wonderful submissions, definitely saw a few people push the limits of what can be done with this beautiful software.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Awesome! My favorite part of your scene is the same as yours. Lovely! Might have benefited a bit with a slightly less heavy DoF, but lovable nonetheless.

Will Gibbons

I'm with Magnus... I kind of want to see a majority of the faucet to be in focus (if you were to do a final rendering) Maybe a bit of tone mapping in post to gain better balance of exposure throughout.

Don't take this the wrong way, but here you've got a clear focal point compared to your previous images and I think the curious green liquid coming out of the faucet begins to tell a story. To me this is a stronger image than previously.

I'd see if you can push this once more and then add it to the portfolio. Very nice.

DMerz III

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on October 26, 2017, 07:20:19 AM
Awesome! My favorite part of your scene is the same as yours. Lovely! Might have benefited a bit with a slightly less heavy DoF, but lovable nonetheless.

:) Thanks! I don't disagree with you here, I did go a bit extreme with the DoF

Quote from: Will Gibbons on October 26, 2017, 07:45:41 AM
I'm with Magnus... I kind of want to see a majority of the faucet to be in focus (if you were to do a final rendering) Maybe a bit of tone mapping in post to gain better balance of exposure throughout.

Don't take this the wrong way, but here you've got a clear focal point compared to your previous images and I think the curious green liquid coming out of the faucet begins to tell a story. To me this is a stronger image than previously.

I'd see if you can push this once more and then add it to the portfolio. Very nice.

Great suggestion, Will. I think with the contest submission, I was torn about how much detail to show from the scene (mostly because I modeled ever bit of it and it was hard to let go of parts in the final image.) But you have a great point about telling the right story.

Thanks both of you for your comments, totally appreciate it!

Will Gibbons

Quote from: DMerz III on October 26, 2017, 08:15:14 AM
Great suggestion, Will. I think with the contest submission, I was torn about how much detail to show from the scene (mostly because I modeled ever bit of it and it was hard to let go of parts in the final image.) But you have a great point about telling the right story.

Thanks both of you for your comments, totally appreciate it!

I completely understand. I've done this myself where I put a ton of work into many details, then quite some time later, realize that my insistence in showing off my hard work, only got in the way of finding the best composition. Not saying you did that, but my comment comes from my own experience with my own work. Btw, I'd never seen the movie you cited as your inspiration. Looks pretty ridiculous. It's on my 'to watch' list now.

Josh3D

Indeed, that is one great looking faucet. Can totally get a sense of the age and the amount of use it has had. Love it.

DMerz III

Quote from: Will Gibbons on October 27, 2017, 12:48:16 AM
I completely understand. I've done this myself where I put a ton of work into many details, then quite some time later, realize that my insistence in showing off my hard work, only got in the way of finding the best composition. Not saying you did that, but my comment comes from my own experience with my own work. Btw, I'd never seen the movie you cited as your inspiration. Looks pretty ridiculous. It's on my 'to watch' list now.

You should totally watch it, one of Mike Judge's best works, super underrated (because it was poorly marketed at the time) but it is quoted a lot these days for obvious reasons (once you see it, you'll understand)!

And to your point, it is very hard when you're doing a 'personal' project to not have those 'guardrails' given to us by clients. Making all these decisions for the final piece seems to foreign to me! Haha, usually I have to go with what the client(s) say! You know, because they're always right  ;)

So it was a fun challenge on many levels!

Quote from: Josh Mings on October 27, 2017, 08:57:01 AM
Indeed, that is one great looking faucet. Can totally get a sense of the age and the amount of use it has had. Love it.

Thanks Josh, I was really going all out on those textures because I don't get to have that kind of fun in my daily work. I just had an extreme urge to go grunge and worn as possible, it was actually very easy with the material graph and the ability to blend metal/metallic paint materials.