Camera moves when selecting camera target

Started by mattjgerard, December 21, 2017, 10:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

Why does the camera have to reframe and move when I right click and set the camera target? I already have the camera framed and set, so just setting the camera target shouldn't change the distance of the camera to the object? Or am I seeing something wrong? Most of the time it is when I have a large scene, I get the camera set to frame the product amongst other junk, and I want to rotate the camera around the object jsut a wee bit, but the camera's rotate point os way off in the distance. I will right click and select NAvigate->Set camera target and the camera reframes and dollys waaaaaay back.

Just checked it again before I submitted, and its pretty random the results I get. I have checked and the object's axis position does not appear to have any bearing on the behavior of the camera when I select a new target.

LayC42

Hello Matt.
The camera target feature always centered the target in the view port.
Have you ever tried to change the camera target via geometry view? In KS7 you can move the target via move tool without changing the current camera position.

Hope that helps to find the right track.
Merry Christmas

Cheers
Marco

mattjgerard

Its fine that the camera target is always centered, that's a good thing. But when I wish there was a way to lock the camera coordinates and select a new camera target without the camera physically moving.

I think what is happenening is that when I change the camera's target, the "Camera Distance" is still being honored, so if the camera is 100 units away from its current target, and I select on object that is 50 units closer, the system will push the camera back another 50 units to keep the Camera Distance number at 100 units.

Part of it is discipline on my part of choosing a proper target before I fall in love too much with the framing, and #2, I am going to make it a habit to create a sphere that will be used as the camera target from the start of the project. Using it like a Null object in Cinema 4D i will have more control over it, and won't get the momentary "throw my box out the window" rage when it reframes and moves my perfectly framed camera.