Request for training

Started by mattjgerard, October 02, 2018, 11:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

As all eyes gaze amazed at all the new flashy things that KS8 can do, I am still on the hunt for something that will go through each part of the software and really describe it and how to use it. Mainly talking about the material graph and all the nodes.

I can see them, I can read in the manual (which is getting better) the description of each node, but it is in complete. Maybe i'm just a bit slow, maybe its just the way my brain works, but there needs to be a better way to figure out how to hook what nodes up to which, and why some won't go into others, and what exactly is getting passed from one to another other than trial and error by the users. I don't expect people to do my work for me, but I would hope that the maker of the tools that I use want to and are willing to explain how their tools work so that I can make the most of them.

There are certainly those on here that totally get every nuance and button and knob and what they all do, and I'm quite envious of that. I am willing and able to experiment, but I've wasted quite a bit of time in KS ( and other software) adjusting, tweaking, changeing and troubleshooting a feature without any results and finally have someone say "hey it doesn't work unless you click this obscure tickbox". Not having a fuller set of documentation available that really explains how settings affect the image is really frustrating for us middle of the road users that can't spend untold hours playing with stuff just to find out I need to invert something to get it to work.

Webinars, tips etc are all awesome, but mostly these days, I'm looking for specific stuff, and I'm at a loss as to where to find it. This forum is fantastic and I have made tons of use of the advice I've gotten on here, but its much faster to search a manual and see an example of a feature off, 50% and 100% to understand what that knob or value does to the image.

Guess I'm asking for a much more comprehensive manual, at the very least. Was there some place that "power users" could sign up and help edit the manual? I would totally do that if someone would walk me through the stuff I'm writing about. That would be a great way to learn.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: mattjgerard on October 02, 2018, 11:37:41 AM
As all eyes gaze amazed at all the new flashy things that KS8 can do, I am still on the hunt for something that will go through each part of the software and really describe it and how to use it. Mainly talking about the material graph and all the nodes.

I can see them, I can read in the manual (which is getting better) the description of each node, but it is in complete. Maybe i'm just a bit slow, maybe its just the way my brain works, but there needs to be a better way to figure out how to hook what nodes up to which, and why some won't go into others, and what exactly is getting passed from one to another other than trial and error by the users. I don't expect people to do my work for me, but I would hope that the maker of the tools that I use want to and are willing to explain how their tools work so that I can make the most of them.

There are certainly those on here that totally get every nuance and button and knob and what they all do, and I'm quite envious of that. I am willing and able to experiment, but I've wasted quite a bit of time in KS ( and other software) adjusting, tweaking, changeing and troubleshooting a feature without any results and finally have someone say "hey it doesn't work unless you click this obscure tickbox". Not having a fuller set of documentation available that really explains how settings affect the image is really frustrating for us middle of the road users that can't spend untold hours playing with stuff just to find out I need to invert something to get it to work.

Webinars, tips etc are all awesome, but mostly these days, I'm looking for specific stuff, and I'm at a loss as to where to find it. This forum is fantastic and I have made tons of use of the advice I've gotten on here, but its much faster to search a manual and see an example of a feature off, 50% and 100% to understand what that knob or value does to the image.

Guess I'm asking for a much more comprehensive manual, at the very least. Was there some place that "power users" could sign up and help edit the manual? I would totally do that if someone would walk me through the stuff I'm writing about. That would be a great way to learn.

Not sure if you've looked at the KeyShot 8 manual, but it's pretty impressive! See here :https://luxion.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/K8M/overview

It should have a very comprehensive breakdown of what each node does in the Mat Graph with visuals. That said, for what you've asked, we offer on-site KeyShot training. In fact, that's what I do year-round. If your company is interested in KeyShot training, feel free to reach out using the contact form on this page: [url]https://www.keyshot.com/resources/training//url]

I hope that helps.