Nested Menus are driving all of us crazy.

Started by Namssorg, October 01, 2013, 08:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Namssorg

The nested menus that popped up in the latest version of Keyshot are driving all of the KS users at our office crazy.  It's nicely organized, but it's SO easy to have the menu jump to the tree below it.  So if I am trying to select something on the Material dropdown, often by the time my mouse reaches the menu item, I've accidentally gone one pixel into the Move menu, causing it to open instead.  It's a small thing, but it's very frustrating because it happens all the time.

I understand the need to organize, but could we get a settings option to use the older style (non-nested) menus in the next release?

An alternative would be a very short delay before a menu tree opens, instead of instantly like it does now.

Speedster

I totally agree-  it's very frustrating now.  And even worse for me now that I'm using a 32 core computer that's so darned fast I can hardly think anymore.  Scary when a computer is faster than I am.  Back with my first Pentium 100 (last quarter of the 20th Century!) I could go get a cup of coffee in between mouse clicks!
Bill G

Ed

Move Model and Move Part are actions I use frequently.  I would keep them in the main menu and not as a fly-out sub-menu.

When there are 5 options it is appropriate to have a sub-menu.  When there are only 2 heavily used options, it's better to keep them in the main menu.

The Look At options just below are listed separately in the main menu and not grouped in a sub-menu, so the UI appears to be inconsistent.

Again, I would focus the UI around the actions that are most frequently used, and only use sub-menus for options that have several, less frequently used functions.

Ed

Claus Jensen

We will add a preference option to get a "flat menu" without sub menus.

Thanks,

Claus

Speedster

Sort of the right time to propose that the "Ground Grid" command be moved from the Environment Tab, which it has nothing to do with, over to the Camera Tab, where it makes more sense and is actually used.

And my often requested "Reset Button" on all material tabs that simply takes you back to where you were before performing any tweaks to that specific material.  This is a separate function than ctrl+Z.

Bill G

Namssorg

QuoteWhen there are 5 options it is appropriate to have a sub-menu.  When there are only 2 heavily used options, it's better to keep them in the main menu.

Great point Ed. I agree that the current menu is really only frustrating when I'm positioning models and hiding parts.  Features that might want to live in the main menu.

cadjockey

Personally I hate the way the show/hide part options are in a sub menu and would welcome an easier way of getting to those. I'm thinking of customisable hot keys or even a custom right click menu.
(tab and shift tab work pretty well in solid works too for this)

Rich

br3ttman