Keyshot for Zbrush question about depth pass and fog

Started by Grot, February 04, 2015, 01:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grot

Hello,

I just got Keyshot for Zbrush when Pixologic released their latest update. I am very impressed with Keyshot, and after playing around for a couple of days I am thinking about creating my first finished render.

My question is this: is it possible to create a depth pass in Keyshot for Zbrush?

I would like to use the depth pass as an alpha channel in photoshop during post processing to create a fog type effect. I came across a video tutorial for creating depth passes in Keyshot, but it involved a Passes menu that does not seem to be present in Keyshot for Zbrush.

Am I missing something, and if not.... is there a way to possibly simulate a depth pass in Keyshot for Zbrush?

Any help with this would be really appreciated.

cheers
Grot

guest84672

Hi Grot - that is only possible in the Pro version.

Grot

Thanks for the info.

Bit of a bummer as I can't afford the Pro version, but I'll get by. The features I do have are very cool.

Cheers
Grot

andy.engelkemier

Never fear. You can make a Fake depth pass. It's just a bit more work.

Duplicate your entire scene. Maybe just save a copy, depending on it's size.
Create a flat material, turn off all lights, and turn environment to black.
On the flat material create a texture that is just a gradient from white to black. Map that planar and try and match it to the camera. White should be at the camera, black would be away. Just use the placement tool to get it in the right position.

It doesn't have to be Perfect either. Just get it close, it'll work fine.

Render that out. It should be extremely fast. And you can use that just like you would the render pass. In fact, it May even product higher quality results, because the pass isn't clamped output so it's sometimes too narrow of a field.

Grot

Thanks  andy.engelkemier.

I thought I might be able to do something like that, just being new to Keyshot I didn't really know where to start. Many thanks for the info I'll give it a shot.

Cheers

Jake_H

Hi
Thanks  for that tip Andy- (Another Zbrush for Keyshot user ) - I will definitely  be  using that technique to add some DOF in post.

MealeaYing

I cant wait to try this.
Thank you Grot for asking about (and all the stuff you make) this and thank you Andy for knowing how!