Future Shock for Specialized

Started by imikej, September 09, 2016, 02:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imikej

Had fun working on a great animation and VR project for Specialized Bicycles.  Here is the hero cutaway.  This is all done in KS 6.  I should say the cutaways were all done dynamically in KS.  Will put up the animation as soon as we finish dubbing the soundtrack in.  It was great working with Tim Feher on this one.  He pretends to like cars, but pretty sure he's really into bikes (now).

HaroldL

Quote from: imikej on September 09, 2016, 02:52:41 PM
. . . This is all done in KS 6.  I should say the cutaways were all done dynamically in KS. . . .
??? what do mean by "dynamically"? What was your work flow?
Today at work I was attempting to do something similar out of SolidWorks but couldn't get it. I tried using an Assembly Cut and Updating the model to KS but that didn't work. Any pointers would be appreciated.

imikej

So, dynamic means we are peeling the material back in the animation.  This is as opposed to cutting and facing it in SolidWorks or whatever CAD software.  The technique is tricky and frustrating (in my opinion).  We used color gradient and number fade in the material graph to do this.  Hope that helps.  Best of luck!

Hossein Alfideh

I saw this on indtagram , really amazing well done :)

puyopuyo

Looks very cool! I didn't know you could do that in Keyshot -looking forward to the animation.

Will Gibbons

Am I right in assuming that's a custom UD Carbon material on the bars?

Super work, Mike!

Josh3D

DMerz III

imikej

Quote from: Will Gibbons on September 12, 2016, 07:22:36 AM

Super work, Mike!

Thanks, Will! Yes, all the materials are custom. The wonders of the Material Graph. Don't know what we did before it. Well. We didn't (do it). As an aside, DriesV as we call him in Santa Cruz did an amazing job creating a believable uni-direction carbon for our Venge project (http://www.thomasburke.com/vengevr.html) using on his imagination and the tools available in KS 5.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: imikej on September 13, 2016, 09:42:00 AM
Quote from: Will Gibbons on September 12, 2016, 07:22:36 AM

Super work, Mike!

Thanks, Will! Yes, all the materials are custom. The wonders of the Material Graph. Don't know what we did before it. Well. We didn't (do it). As an aside, DriesV as we call him in Santa Cruz did an amazing job creating a believable uni-direction carbon for our Venge project (http://www.thomasburke.com/vengevr.html) using on his imagination and the tools available in KS 5.

Dries knows KeyShot magic, no question!

guest84672

HaroldL

Quote from: imikej on September 09, 2016, 06:50:44 PM
So, dynamic means we are peeling the material back in the animation.  This is as opposed to cutting and facing it in SolidWorks or whatever CAD software.  The technique is tricky and frustrating (in my opinion).  We used color gradient and number fade in the material graph to do this.  Hope that helps.  Best of luck!

Thanks for the tip. I was able to get it to work on a single level, through one part, but now I am having an issue lighting the interior. I can see how it must be a challenge to "cut away" several layers of objects. Getting the timing of the anims could be tough.

This would be a good one for a webinar.