Importing data with material applied different with old VS new importers

Started by Robb63, March 25, 2011, 09:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robb63

We use props of electronic devices fairly frequently (from Turbosquid, etc...) these are typically OBJ or 3DS files with materials and textures applied. I usually bring these into Rhino to place in our scenes then saving that as a Rhino file import it into KS for our renderings.
Just noticed an odd thing happening. If I bring in the file using "old importers" it retains all of the materials (except glass which it never did). If I import the file normally (the 2.2.45 way) it comes in gray with all of the materials deleted. Also, if I import the obj, or 3DS file there is no option under advanced to use old importers so it comes in without the assigned materials too.

Please see the screenshot. The part on the right is how it comes in with old importers, the one on the right without that box checked (also the scale was way off on the gray one, but that's something you guys know about).

Thanks,
Rob

guest84672

You should update to 2.2.52. I have seen this before when the Rhino file is not layered. 3DS also doesn't bring in textures right now, but obj does. You need to make sure that the textures are in the same folder as the obj file.