Ratty Edges/Anti Aliasing

Started by mattjgerard, October 09, 2017, 11:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjgerard

I'm running into an issue with some ratty edges on the main RGB image and the clown pass. I know its a worst case scenario for this time of stair stepping, but is there anything I can do to minimize it? Several things I am trying-

1) render seperately with overlapping matierials, then use the clown pass to seperate, but clown pass has ratty edges as well.
2) Refine edge in photoshop, not a whole lot of success here, I'm not super talented in finessing in PS, but seems with enough time and practice I might be able to get this to work
3) Render 4x larger than needed, and try different methods of scaling down to reduce ratty edges. In the network renderer now, so will be trying this next.

This screen grab is in PS at 100%, was rendered at 2400x2400 px dimensions, at 300dpi 600 samples.

To complicate matters, the print version of this image needs to have clean die cuts in between the white and black areas, as we are doing some fancy holigraphc foil printing on the white areas, and need to have ultra clean edges for the die cuts.

rfollett

Will Gibbons

Using Custom Control render method, try turning up the Anti Aliasing... something like 4, 6, 8 and see if that helps!

mattjgerard

I will give that a try, thanks Will. Its been on hold while the printer is doing some testing with foil die cuts and ink overprints, but will be getting back into it next week.