Main Menu

Toons in KS5 very slow

Started by Speedster, July 14, 2014, 07:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

I've noticed that rendering a toon now in KS5 is VERY slow compared to KS4.  An existing KS4 .bip that rendered in about 15 seconds on 32 cores now takes over an hour in KS5.  ???
Bill G

DriesV

Hi Bill,

Have you -by any chance- enabled NURBS mode?

Dries

Speedster

I did not import as NURBS enabled, as it's a KS4 .bip.  But oddly, the Enable NURBS icon is greyed out and inactive.  So I don't know, nor do I understand why it's greyed out.  KS5.0.99 version.
Bill G

Rex

Bill,

The NURBS icon is greyed out because it was not supported in KS4 and can only be enabled when importing CAD into KS5. Can you please send the KS4 .ksp to rex@luxion.com for me to take a look at?

Thanks

Speedster

Thanks for the offer, Rex, but I don't think it's worth it.  The .bip is 116,309,339 polys and 11.7 GB! It's for another magazine cover.

Unfortunately, almost all of the work I want to do will come from KS4, and it's almost impossible to re-import them with NURBS enabled.  But not a biggie for Toons.  I've never had NURBS issues on this model, so I'm not really concerned.

But I am crashing a lot again in 5.0.99.  Mostly material changes, and always if I terminate a rendering.

Bill G

DriesV

Quote from: Speedster on July 14, 2014, 03:45:23 PM
But I am crashing a lot again in 5.0.99.  Mostly material changes

I second that.

Dries

jhiker

Quote from: Speedster on July 14, 2014, 07:00:09 AM
I've noticed that rendering a toon now in KS5 is VERY slow compared to KS4.  An existing KS4 .bip that rendered in about 15 seconds on 32 cores now takes over an hour in KS5.  ???
Bill G
Y'know, I think I noticed the same when I opened an older KS4 TOON scene and then I kinda forgot about it as I haven't done another one recently - but I think you're correct.