Keyshot crashes when rendering anything above 9000 pixels

Started by Justin M, February 19, 2015, 04:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin M

Windows 7
Dual Xeon E5-2620, 32 GB RAM
Keyshot 5.1.66
Modeled in Maya

Everytime I try render above 9000 pixels wide keyshot crashes, it also crashes when I try rendering in regions. The scene is roughly 4.5 million polys.

I've lowered the sample really low and tried, but no luck.

Any thoughts?

PhilippeV8

Yeah I got that here.  Tried different file formats, not joy.

I'm still on KS4.3.10 tho.

Justin M

I've tried EXR, Tiff, PSD, PNG with no luck.

Tried importing into new scene, still crashes.

KeyShot

I recommend trying KeyShot 5.1 or the soon to be released 5.2 to see if that fixes the issue. Contact sales@luxion.com to get setup with a trial license.

Justin M

andy.engelkemier

I have alerted KS about this before, but haven't seen anything about it, so I'll let you guys in on the secret.

Keyshot is switching to advanced settings as soon as you hit 9000px. It allows you to select time or number of frames, but it's using the old rendering method. ALSO, what is happening is that it's using the number of frames as the quality amount. So 128 frames becomes the quality!? WOW. So it's switching rendering methods and using the numbers in it's place.

If you actually wait long enough to see it start rendering you'll figure that one out. I came in over a weekend and saw it actually rendering, my first of 8 images. At only 2% complete. I was less than pleased.
I noticed that if you use 8999 it also rounds up sometimes and does the same thing. So I usually drop a few pixels just to be safe. I haven't tried doing that in a while though. If someone needs a large render I just do it in Max (which is only slightly more stable realistically)

andy.engelkemier

Yay. I just tested it with 5.2.1 and rendered at 12000x8000 on a complex project.
I then rendered the material ball scene at 12000x12000.

Both images rendered, However, you can't see Anything while rendering. So cross your fingers I guess. but hey, at least you get something.

Don't forget people, number of frames needed is resolution independent. As resolution goes up, you need less frames. You don't need 64+ frames on a rendering over 9k
You can now cancel renders without crashing. BUT...it isn't rendering with the real-time settings. It's rendering using advanced. If you cancel a render in the middle you'll notice that it's really rendering in the spiral fashion. This also means that your rendering will Change. The advanced method creates additional internal shadow errors as well as global illumination does not work as well through transparent objects. So you're still stuck rendering smaller than 9000 if you want the render to be reliable.

KeyShot

It is still using the realtime rendering method. However, when the resolution gets high it switches to the same tiled mode as advanced mode. It prevents the image buffer from using all the memory and it allows rendering of images with very high resolution.